Santorum: Mueller could avoid charges of McCarthyism by investigating DOJ, FBI

Source: The Hill | August 19, 2018 | Michael Burke

Former GOP Senator Rick Santorum said Sunday that special counsel Robert Mueller could avoid comparisons to Sen. Joseph McCarthy by investigating the Justice Department (DOJ) and FBI.

Santorum said on CNN’s “State of the Union” that Mueller should investigate the DOJ and FBI “with respect to Hillary Clinton and all these other things.”

The former senator was responding to a string of tweets from President Trump early Sunday morning claiming that Mueller makes McCarthy, who searched for communists in the U.S. government in the 1950s, “look like a baby.”

“It’s his job to do a thorough investigation,” Santorum said of Mueller. “… There’s certainly no evidence that he’s looking into any of this.”

……..

Other panelists on “State of the Union” pushed back against Trump’s comparison of McCarthy to Mueller’s probe into possible ties between the Trump campaign and Russia.

Former Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm said Mueller “is the total hero.”

“One wonders who’s the real McCarthy,” she added.

Rep. Karen Bass (D-Calif.) called it “ironic” that Trump compared Mueller to McCarthy just days after Trump said he was considering revoking the security clearances of former intelligence officials who have criticized him publicly.

“If anybody remembers the McCarthy period, that’s exactly what he did,” she said. “That’s McCarthy-like.”

Conservative political commentator S.E. Cupp said there was “nothing undemocratic” about Mueller’s probe.

“There’s nothing undemocratic about trying to get to the bottom of whether Russia hacked our elections and had the help of people inside the White House,” she said.

…….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #25165

Consistent #25166

Consistent #25167

Consistent #25168

Consistent #25169

Consistent #25170

ConservativeGranny #25176

Santorum said on CNN’s “State of the Union” that Mueller should investigate the DOJ and FBI “with respect to Hillary Clinton and all these other things.”

Things I said when I was a kid and I got in trouble:

“He hit me first”
    “I didn’t do it” and then when confronted with the evidence:
    “But what about when my brother stole a cookie…”
    “Everybody does it!”

I guess some people just never grow up.

EVERYDAY #25177

Santorum should know that Mueller’s job is not to investigate Hillary, the FBI, etc. The task he was given was to investigate alleged Russian influence in Trump’s election to the presidency. No one has given him the job of investigating these other people or entities.

Besides I thought investigating Hillary was off the table. Trump made promises to have Hillary reinvestigated, then backed off once he became president. So isn’t Hillary off limits?

ConservativeGranny #25184

‘Santorum should know that Mueller’s job is not to investigate Hillary, the FBI, etc”

I think he knows it but Trump fans don’t & these idiotic comments are for their consumption. They swallow anything .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.