'Saturday Night Live' mocks R. Kelly interview: 'Please just call me victim'

Source: The Hill | March 10, 2019 | Brett Samuels

“Saturday Night Live” spoofed “CBS This Morning” anchor Gayle King’s explosive interview with R. Kelly in which the singer was questioned about sexual abuse allegations.

Each time King, played by Leslie Jones, attempted to address the singer as Robert, Kenan Thompson’s character would interrupt.

“Please just call me victim,” he said.

“I’m not going to do that,” Jones replied.

Thompson’s character explained that he felt compelled to do the interview because “people think that I’m some kind of a monster.”

“My lawyer was telling me no. But my ego, my ego was telling me yes,” he added, a play on Kelly’s song “Bump N’ Grind.”

Thompson broke into song multiple times during the parody interview and later cited the singer’s “Trapped in the Closet” as one of many “clues” he’d dropped while defending himself against allegations of sexual abuse.

“Guys, think for a minute. Use your brains! Why would I do these things?” Thompson asked. “For 30 years, I gave y’all ‘Trapped in the Closet,’ ‘Feelin’ on Yo Booty,’ ‘Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number’ and so many other clues.” 

The 52-year-old performer pleaded not guilty last month to 10 counts of aggravated sexual abuse. Three of the women were under the age of 17 at the time of the alleged incidents, which prosecutors say spanned from 1998 to 2010.

………

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.