'Saturday Night Live' ponders what it would take for Republicans to turn against Trump

Source: The Hill | May 12, 2019 | Justin Wise

“Saturday Night Live” in its latest episode took aim at GOP Senators Mitch McConnell (Ky.), Lindsey Graham (S.C.) and Susan Collins (Maine) for their support of President Trump.

The NBC sketch comedy program mocked the three high-profile senators in a parody version of the network’s “Meet The Press.” Kyle Mooney, acting as host Chuck Todd, questioned cast members portraying the three senators on a range of topics, including what it would take for them to turn against the president.

Mooney opens the segment by asking them about Trump’s new push to raise tariffs and if the senators support it.

“There was no collusion,” McConnell, played by Beck Bennett, responds, referencing the GOP’s widespread response to special counsel Robert Mueller’s report.

Graham, played by Kate McKinnon, later says that “when you have a president who is a financial genius and a business Jesus like Donald Trump, you’ve just got to trust him.”

“This man has lost a hundred times more money than I’ve ever made,” McKinnon says.

Cecily Strong, playing Collins, then states that “some of things this administration is doing makes me want to shake my head vigorously and wag my finger once, perhaps twice.”

The segment transitions to Mooney questioning the senators on whether various hypotheticals would cause them to stop supporting Trump. At one point, Mooney asks the group what they would do if they found out Trump was a Muslim.

“A Muslim? Oh, just the thought of that makes me want to stress eat,” Bennett’s McConnell says as he begins eating a piece of lettuce.

Mooney’s Todd also asks the group how’d they react if Trump divorced the first lady, Melania Trump, for Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and pledged to sign the Green New Deal, a progressive measure the first-year lawmaker is promoting to combat climate change.

The three senators immediately voice outrage at the possibility, with Bennett’s McConnell saying that it crosses the line.

“So he’d lose your support?” Mooney’s asks.

“He would not,” Bennett’s McConnell replies.

……….

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.