Scalise avoids blaming Trump for Capitol riot following Mar-a-Lago visit

Source: The Hill | February 21, 2021 | Rema Rahman

House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.), who last week visited former President Trump at Mar-a-Lago, on Sunday deflected blame away from Trump for the deadly riot at the Capitol.

Scalise told ABC “This Week” host Jonathan Karl that he “ended up” at the former president’s Palm Beach resort during a visit to Florida to fundraise when asked if he spoke to Trump about taking responsibility for a mob of his supporters overrunning the Capitol during Congress’s official Electoral College count affirming President Biden’s win. The House impeached Trump over his role in the siege, and the Senate acquitted the former president in a trial.

“I was in Florida doing some fundraising throughout a number of parts of Florida, ended up at Mar-a-Lago and the president reached out and we visited,” Scalise said. “I hadn’t seen him since he had left the White House and it was actually good to catch up with him. I noticed he was a lot more relaxed than his four years in the White House.” 

“It was a conversation more about how he’s doing now and what he’s planning on doing and how his family is doing,” Scalise said.

Karl later referred to comments by House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, who on the evening of Jan. 6 flatly blamed Trump for the riot — comments the California Republican later backtracked. 

Scalise replied that there was “a lot of blame to go around.”

“At the end of the day, the people who stormed the Capitol on January 6th, it was a disgrace and they need to be held accountable,” Scalise said.

“That’s obvious,” Karl responded. “I’m asking about Donald Trump’s role in this.” 

Scalise then shifted to the subject of Trump’s second impeachment trial where defense attorneys showed a mashup video of Democrats using the word “fight” in political speeches in relation to Trump’s “fight like hell” phrase used during a speech just before rioters stormed the Capitol.

“All they’ve done since the day [he] walked into office was try to impeach him,” Scalise said.

“So you’re saying he doesn’t bear responsibility?” Karl asked.

……..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #47530

Consistent #47531

Consistent #47532

EVERYDAY #47549

I understand the Sunday gabfest shows all had members of the GOP Trump cult on and all these guests continued to spread the stolen election lie. Shame on the networks for giving the cult an outlet to spread this lie and to incite others in the Trump cult to further violence.

By the way, Scalise, it wasn’t just Trump’s rhetoric on January 6 which provoked the attmpted coup. Trump spread his lies of election fraud well before the election took place with the intent of priming his cult to ultimately take violent action to keep Trump in power. The coup attempt was well planned, not a spontaneous event resulting from one word used in Trump’s speech that day.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.