Scarborough: Trump restarting coronavirus briefings could be 'political catastrophe' for campaign

Source: The Hill | July 21, 2020 | Joe Concha

MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough on Tuesday predicted it would be “a political catastrophe for his campaign” if President Trump renews his coronavirus briefings, as he is expected to do later in the day.

Scarborough, the host of “Morning Joe,” said the beginning of Trump’s slide in the polls was when he began doing the daily briefings. 

Trump is set to hold a news conference at 5 p.m. on Tuesday that is expected to serve as the return to the coronavirus briefings. 

Scarborough got on the topic after comments from MSNBC’s John Heilemann on the briefings. 

Heilemann said Trump views himself as “a persuasive, powerful spokesman,” saying that’s why Trump was resuming the briefings. 

“So he’s remounting the stage now because he thinks he will do a better job than anyone else explaining what’s going on with this thing, why it’s not anything to be feared, why it’s fake news and why we’re all overblowing it, and why America is doing great,” he said. “I think he thinks he’s the best messenger for himself. I don’t think that he thinks he was a disaster politically back in the winter and spring.”

“It would be even more of a political catastrophe for his campaign if that were, in fact, the course he chose,” Scarborough, a fierce Trump critic, responded. “Because, of course, those briefings were the beginning of his slide.”

………

“With every briefing he made, every time he went off script, he provided, and we predicted at the time, he provided the sound bite that his opponents would use against him in the fall and, of course, that’s where we’ve got so many of his quotes, errant quotes talking about it’s not coming back in the fall, using bleach, using UV lights, hydroxychloroquine,” Scarborough added.

………

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #41333

EVERYDAY #41346

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m going to do what I did before and ignore these briefings. These briefings give us no information or inaccurate information or just flat-out lies and I don’t need any of that.

Consistent #41349

Consistent #41350

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.