Scott calls for probe into Broward sheriff shooting response, but not suspension

Source: Politico | February 25, 2018 | Marc Caputo

Gov. Rick Scott asked the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to investigate the Broward Sheriff’s Office response to the Feb. 14 school shooting in Parkland — but he opted not to suspend the sheriff despite the urging of Florida House Speaker Richard Corcoran and most of his GOP caucus.

“I have asked for FDLE to immediately investigate the law enforcement response and will continue to review this matter as more facts come out. There must be an independent investigation and that is why I asked the FDLE Commissioner to immediately start this process,” Scott said in a written statement Sunday.

“I have spoken to Speaker Corcoran about his request and I understand his concerns. I have spoken to the Speaker regularly since the shooting, and like me, he wants the families to have answers and for there to be full accountability. That’s what the victims and their families deserve,” Scott said.

Broward’s elected sheriff, Scott Israel, said in a written statement that his office “will fully cooperate with FDLE, as we believe in full transparency and accountability. This independent, outside review will ensure public confidence in the findings.”

The one-two punch aimed at Israel came hours after he boasted about his own “amazing leadership” in a CNN interview and said he was not responsible for School Resource Officer Scot Peterson’s failure to enter a Marjory Stoneman Douglas building while the shooter was killing 17 people.

As Peterson waited outside, three other deputies may also have refused to enter, according to CNN. But Israel told CNN’s Jake Tapper he can’t confirm or deny the report, which is under investigation.

…….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #21901

Consistent #21907

EVERYDAY #21909

I agree with the governor. There should be an investigation. But what we need is a complete and thorough investigation into the response (or lack of response) in this tragedy. Why did the deputy not engage the shooter? Cowardice? Departmental rules and procedures? Laziness? Corruption? There is a lot of speculation and rumors, but any official explanation is not forthcoming. I think all of us, but particularly the survivors and the loved ones of those who perished, have the right to know.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.