SD governor defends Sturgis rally: It’s about ‘personal choices’

Source: The Hill | August 14, 2021 | Lexi Lonas

South Dakota governor defends Sturgis rally: It’s about ‘personal choices’

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem (R) defended the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally that brought hundreds of thousands of people to the state, defending against critics who say it was irresponsible to have the rally during a surge of COVID-19 cases.

“I think it’s interesting that this side, this political party, the Democrats, who embrace getting abortion on demand, are accusing us of embracing death when we’re just allowing people to make personal choices and have personal responsibility over when they want to assemble, when they want to gather and spend time outdoors enjoying their way of life,” Noem said Friday on Fox News’s “The Ingraham Angle.”

“So we’ve had a fantastic event here in South Dakota. The rally will end … Sunday, I guess … and they’re having a fantastic time. We’re glad everybody made the trip to South Dakota,” she added.

……..

Last year’s rally had 460,000 people show up in the area. There were $12.2 billion in health care costs related to the event, an analysis done by the IZA Institute of Labor Economics showed.

The analysis has been criticized since it was published, with Noem calling it “fiction.”

……..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #49984

Consistent #49985

EVERYDAY #49986

No, governor. It’s about saving lives, which I guess you and the rest of the Trump cult really don’t care about.

Consistent #50105

ConservativeGranny #50108

A “personal choice” is choosing which pair of shoes to wear that day. It never has been about being able to spread a potentially deadly disease to everyone around you. What part of that do these idiots not understand? And I wish when they say stupid stuff like that the media would set them straight about the difference between picking out a tie and making others sick with your irresponsible behavior. Freedom is not being able to do whatever you feel like regardless of how it affects others. This is stuff our parents taught us when we were kids. What happened to them?

Consistent #50150

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.