Senior GOP Officials Exploring Options if Trump Drops Out

Republican officials are exploring how to handle a scenario that would be unthinkable in a normal election year: What would happen if the party’s presidential nominee dropped out?

ABC News has learned that senior party officials are so frustrated — and confused by Donald Trump’s erratic behavior — that they are exploring how to replace him on the ballot if he were to drop out.

So, how would it work?

First, Trump would have to voluntarily exit the race. Officials say there is no mechanism for forcing him to withdraw his nomination. (Trump has not given any indications that he no longer wants to be his party’s nominee).

Then, it would be up to the 168 members of the Republican National Committee to choose a successor, though the process is complicated.

One Republican legal expert has advised party officials that, for practical reasons, Trump would have to drop out by early September to give the party enough time to choose his replacement and get the next nominee’s name on the ballot in enough states to win.

….

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #8918

EVERYDAY #8927

The question is, will Trump drop out? I would have thought he would have done so by now, as I figured his candidacy was a reality show. But it seems he is taking this seriously.

What will happen if he doesn’t drop out by September? Would the November election be oostponed? Would Hillary win by default?

This election started out as exciting. So many candidates to choose from. But then the people went for the 2 worst candidates in history — a lying, incompetent and possibly a criminal (Hillary) and a phony conservative, liar, fraud and mentally ill tyrant (Trump). The Republican Party could have prevented Trump’s nomination, but it chose not to. Now it has to live with the consequences.

Bye, bye Republican Party.

ConstitutionalConservative #8933

I do believe the trump campaign will blow up we are seeing signs now, hillary will win.

Unless they get Ted Cruz back on the ballots and very soon the republicans will still lose, you know the republicans will put up someone along the lines of Romney, Kasich or maybe Rubio, as you know they always follow foolishness with more foolishness; that won’t work.
    Also they should know the trumpanzee’s will not vote but they will demonstrate they are a bunch of screaming, screeching monkeys that are prone to violence. I don’t think their hatred of Cruz will much of an obstacle in the long run as their numbers even now are diminishing.

Ted Cruz is the only one with no baggage and the only one who is conservative through and through and the only one who can win without the trumpanzee’s, if the GOPe will only keep their filthy diseased mouths shut.

slhancock1948 #8938

“The question is, will Trump drop out? I would have thought he would have done so by now, as I figured his candidacy was a reality show. But it seems he is taking this seriously.”

Personally I think he doesn’t want it. He cannot be so bad as to think that his present behavior doesn’t help Hillary. The problem is that he’d rather let Hillary win, which I still believe was the game plan all along. If she wins in a landslide she gets to say that her policies were what people wanted. To HELL with America after that.

Pray for righteousness to be restored and for the peace of Jerusalem

CA Surveyor #8944

The more outrageous Trump’s assertions get, the bigger his lead grows.

The entire RNC belongs in a mental hospital.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.