Sessions Says Trump Made 'No Commitments' On Dealing With Illegal Immigrants

Source: Weekly Standard | August 21, 2016 | Jim Swift

Trump has reportedly left door open to path to legalization.

….

Dickerson asked Sessions about the recent report from BuzzFeed that Trump told a group of Hispanic leaders recently he would find a “humane and efficient” way to deal with the 11 million illegal immigrants. Those who heard Trump’s remarks said it seemed like the Republican nominee would be open to a path to legal status for undocumented workers. Sessions said Trump has not “made any commitments” on what to do with current illegal immigrants.

“We’ll have to think about what’s the right thing to do. He listened to a lot of people. I don’t think he made any commitments. He’s thinking that through. I think that’s the right thing. But he is absolutely committed to the first thing that has to be done, and that’s end the lawlessness, to protect Americans from danger, and to protect American jobs from excessive flows of labor that pull down wages and job opportunities for Americans.”

As to his promise to remove those here illegally and “put them at the back of the line”—assuming those removed want legal permanent status—Sessions demurred: “Well, he’s wrestling with how to do that. Uh, people that are here unlawfully, came into the country against our laws, are subject to being removed. That’s just plain fact.”

Dickerson pressed Sessions, asking: “You know, there was a little confusion about his position, but you’re, you’re pretty certain about where he is in terms of removing the eleven million from the United States?”

To which Sessions responded: “Well, what I’m certain about is that he did not make a firm commitment yesterday, or [in] the meeting the other day, about what he will do with that. But he did listen and he’s talking about it.”

….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #9433

CA Surveyor #9435

Sessions can’t do this tap dance long enough for Trump not to lose a big block of votes from one group or another.

Sessions is almost as bad as McConnell on this stuff, as Ted Cruz found out the hard way.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.