Shatner says he was struck by ‘fragility of this planet’ on trip to space

Source: The Hill | October 14, 2021 | Mychael Schnell

Actor William Shatner on Thursday said he was struck by the “fragility of this planet” during his trip to the edge of space, calling on the public to start focusing more on taking care of the earth.

“The realization once again, the fragility of this planet, the coming catastrophic event, and we all have to clean this act up now,” Shatner told NBC’s “Today.”

Shatner, who is most famous for playing Captain Kirk on “Star Trek,” launched into space on Wednesday aboard Blue Origin’s New Shepard rocket and capsule, taking a 10-minute trip to the edge of space, where he experienced three to four minutes of weightlessness.

The trip, which launched at roughly 8:50 a.m. local time from a launch site in Texas, made Shatner the oldest person to blast into space.

……..

Shatner was emotional on Wednesday after exiting the capsule from his historic trip that traveled roughly 66 miles from the earth’s surface, telling Blue Origin founder Jeff Bezos, “Everybody in the world needs to do this.”

He thanked Bezos for providing him with “the most profound experience I could’ve asked for” and said he was “so filled with emotion” about the trip.

“I hope I never recover from this. I hope I can maintain what I feel now. I don’t want to lose it,” the actor said. “It’s so — it’s so much larger than me and life.”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.