Steve Deace: is Donald Trump this shameless, reckless, or just stupid?

Source: Steve Deace's Facebook | May 16, 2017 | Steve Deace

Once more, Trump goes Colonel Jessup from A Few Good Men. Openly admitting to that which his defenders were attempting to claim he never did.

Last night, as the Washington Post and others began reporting Trump may have leaked classified intel to the Russians during a meeting with their envoy last week, this was my first reaction to the matter (see below here on the page):

“Really looking forward to how Trump will all but confirm latest story about his antics, after he lets people defend him first of course.”

Sho nuff, it’s already happened.

After NSA McMaster came out and somewhat denied the story, saying Trump hadn’t shared “tactics and methods” with the Russians, and other defenders also came out defended him. Then, after Fox News runs with the story this morning that the Russians said it never happened (because if you can’t trust a government run by the former head of the KGB, who can you trust), Trump takes to Twitter to confirm the substance of the story this morning.

You can’t make this stuff up.

“But Steve,” some of you will say, “Trump didn’t admit to sharing classified intel but just basic stuff.”

True, but that’s semantics. Because at any point Trump can declassify anything. So, for example, someone like McMaster could’ve stepped in and said “Mr. President. that’s classified intel you’re sharing.” And Trump could simply respond, right there, with “well, I’m President so it’s declassified.”

“But, Steve” some of you will say, “As you’ve been pointing out about the allegation Obama spied on Trump, a president can declassify basically anything anytime he wants. So it’s highly doubtful anything illegal happened here.”

Exactly right, and Senator Ben Sasse has made this correct point. However, typically presidents aren’t dumb enough to declassify intel for countries the campaign, which elected him, is currently under FBI investigation for illegally conspiring with. It’s like Nixon breaking into DNC headquarters again in the middle of Watergate. Like Bill Clinton molesting another intern in the oval office in the middle of the Lewinsky investigation. It’s so shameless, reckless, and/or stupid it’s frankly unfathomable.

I’m serious when I say this — at some point you have to start wondering if these are subconscious pleas for help. That Trump wants out of the job so bad he’s undermining himself.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.