Steve Deace: Mic drop

Source: Conservative Review | July 21, 2016 | Steve Deace

….

There are moments in life — sporting events, concerts and even politics — when you witness a greatness that you can’t define, but you know what it is when you see it. And once you’ve seen it, you know things will never be the same.

Cruz’s convention speech on Wednesday night was such a moment. 

Like watching Michael Jordan dangle a hand in the air after hitting the championship winning shot, or Tiger Woods in his prime lap the field at The Masters, this was — as the kids say today — a mic drop. 

And the funny thing is, it wasn’t intended to be. It was intended to position Cruz as the future face of conservatism in exile regardless of what happens in November, and repair his image after the brutal end to a bloody primary. Yet it ended up being so much more than that. Way more than that.  

Because luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

….

For the first time in this presidential election most Americans want to be over but seemingly has no end, the country finally got a glance at what a real president would look like. For the first time in my generation, they got a real glance at what a conservative president might look like, too.

Sadly, though, that’s not all they saw.

They also saw a cult of personality, which has hijacked the carcass on the side of the road the GOP has become, boo Cruz while he laid out a vision we’ve been waiting a generation for someone to come along and cast. All because he urged Americans to vote their conscience, and for those who will defend their constitutional freedoms up and down the ballot. Yet the system which gave us the GOP failure theater, which then gave berth to a mass of people so blinded by justifiable anger they fell for the Trump con, had a meltdown over Cruz’s speech.

….

They should know better. But let’s face it, our childlike need to be spoon fed, affirmed and validated emotionally at all costs is why our political system — not to mention the nation at-large — is in the ditch we’re in. That’s why the freedom Cruz spoke so passionately about threatens us. For freedom isn’t free. It comes at the cost of self-restraint and personal accountability. Which, in case you haven’t noticed, are two qualities sorely lacking throughout Trump’s charmed life. 

Then there were the reports of how angry party people and donors were that Cruz dared tell Republicans to vote their values. Stop and think about that for a moment, and allow it to fully sink in. The party establishment can only be offended by a call to vote your conscience if, indeed, they are at least tacitly admitting that to vote for their nominee could violate one’s conscience. 

That is breathtaking, tragic, and altogether unsurprising given what these feckless people have done to the once Grand Old Party. They have managed to do something the entire Democrat Party failed to do. They defeated the Reagan Revolution.

Thankfully, after Wednesday night, another revolution seems ready to launch. A real revolution this time, based on conserving the ideals that made America exceptional in the first place. And I don’t know about you, but I’d rather be exceptional than great any day of the week. A revolution that isn’t about a persona, whether that persona be Cruz or Trump, but about the essence of what it truly means to be a shining city on the hill. 

Finally, I’d like to close with a personal note.

I work in this business full-time, and I am a committed conservative. A Christian one, no less, which means “daily disappointment” is in my job description. Over the course of my career, and my almost 25 years as a Republican, I have known a lot of Republican politicians—including Trump. But very few of them have I actually been proud to know, or restored even a morsel of my faith in the system.

Ted Cruz is in that select group.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #8414

Consistent #8416

Woodcutter #8429

Remember, the boos were not real — they we orchestrated by Trump’s “yellow hats.”

It is troubling that the “establishment” people seem to suggest that to vote for their nominee could violate one’s conscience.

slhancock1948 #8430

I get home from work late, gone all day, sometimes working 14+ hour shifts. Then an hour drive home…not to mention the hr drive to work. Don’t get much time online now. My husband gives me some details, but I loved listening to this one by Deace. His site is great. I love listening, even when they are days old. He is razor sharp and very smart. He understands things like few others do. His team are all good, but Deace is excellent.

http://stevedeaceshow.crtv.libsynpro.com

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by slhancock1948.

Pray for righteousness to be restored and for the peace of Jerusalem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.