Steve Deace: My thoughts on Giantforte and my experience with Ben Jacobs

Source: Steve Deace's Facebook | May 25, 2017 | Steve Deace

I have known Ben Jacobs, the reporter assaulted by the GOP congressional candidate in Montana last night, for years.

He is not a conservative. He is a good reporter in my experience, which includes being used as an identified source for him numerous times (I’ve never been an anonymous source for someone, and never will). Every time he has quoted me correctly, and in context. Which is why I’ve let him interview me several times. My personal rule of thumb, inspired by Johnny Dangerously, is if you do me wrong once as a reporter you don’t get a second chance.

I feel compelled to say this because of some of what I’m seeing out there right now. Of course, I can’t speak for others’ interactions with him, but if I were called as a character witness for him I would have no problems saying what I just wrote under oath. And even if my experience is unique, that is no excuse for assaulting him.

Yet, I am seeing some “conservatives” claim otherwise, which is incredibly sad.

These are the same “conservatives” rightly condemning the violence of some anti-Trump protesters. At the same time, much of the media ignoring the violence of some anti-Trump protesters is now sticking up for Jacobs. Because, apparently, we are simply incapable of saying “beating people for disagreeing with you is wrong. Period.”

Why?

Because binary choice partisan idolatry makes us suck at life.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.