Steve Deace – Needed: A new conservatism

Source: Conservative Review | May 8, 2017 | Steve Deace

…..

But to paraphrase some famous words Reagan once said, I didn’t really leave the Republican Party. The Republican Party left me.

It long ago left conservativism behind. The betrayals we’re seeing now on fake Obamacare repeals and Democrat budget priorities only confirm it. It’s now leaving sanity behind, too, as it disintegrates into a party of Absolute Always Trumpers and Absolute Never Trumpers.

Absolute Always Trumpers change their positions on vital issues like the Iran deal, despotic dictators, and how much the character of our elected officials matter in order to conform to Trump. Meanwhile, Absolute Never Trumpers can’t ever seem to give the president credit even when he deserves it. Each side regularly beclowns itself to justify itself, and their clowning is aided and abetted by a president who all too often acts like a clown himself.

Then there’s the so-called news. Much of it is merely shilling for the Republican-Democrat duopoly, now attacking what it used to defend and defending what it used to attack, on top of all the fake news peddlers on both sides.

It’s clear that it’s time to try something new. The current political paradigm offers no hope for conservatism.

…..

The way I see it, we have the following four options on the table for changing the paradigm (with pros and cons for each):

1. Hostile takeover of the GOP

…….

2. Bolster an existing third party

…….

3. Create a new party

…….

4. Reprioritize, then re-engage

…….

I’m not what many would consider a major influence within conservatism; therefore I’m hardly the one to lead this conversation or steer it one way or the other. And as you can see, there are pros and cons to each option. So I’m not trying to win an argument; I’m merely trying to start one.

We need our leaders with mass followings and influence to engage this conversation, because without them on board, we’ll likely continue to splinter — which means we’ll continue to lose regardless of who wins in November.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.