Steve Deace: The Left wants a biblical tax plan? You’re on!

Source: Conservative Review | December 6, 2017 | Steve Deace

No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father.”— John 10:18

The “it” Jesus is talking about in the above passage from the Gospel of John is, of course, his life. But there are lessons to be gleaned here for other issues, such as the current debate about tax cuts and what is or isn’t biblical about them.

Namely: True acts of love, compassion, and charity cannot be compelled by force. They must be freely chosen, even by Jesus himself, when he bore his grisly and torturous cross.

So when it comes to helping the poor, it should immediately offend the reason of honest thinkers when we are told that the tax plan approved by the U.S. Senate is a moral terror unfit for a Bible-believing people. This charge is made by the same leftists who don’t believe the Bible, of course, and desire to have government punish those who actually do.

But I digress.

Tax rates aren’t charity. They are confiscatory. And as such they are not a pure matter of moral absolutes freely chosen, but something closer to the moral compromise embodied by Aristotle’s golden mean.

…….

To that end, God’s tax plan is actually very simple and not some arcane chestnut of Levitical law. Step 1: Everyone pays the same rate. Step 2: Everyone writes the check themselves.

That’s it. That’s all there is. Two easy steps to funding law, order, and care for the poor.

As for the rate, that would be 10 percent, a fact that was actually codified into American law for much of history, because God-fearing lawmakers rightly saw it as an act of folly for the government to demand more of the taxpayers than God did of His people.

…….

In God’s economy, the rich do pay more, because much is required from those to whom much is given. However, since God is no respecter of persons and commands that we are not to covet each other’s blessings, everyone paid the same rate regardless of economic class. Since God loves everyone equally, everyone is taxed at the same rate. But since the wealthy have more to give, 10 percent to them means more actual funds than 10 percent of the widow’s mite.

…….

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.