Steve Deace's Movie Review – Spider-Man: Homecoming

Source: Steve Deace's Facebook | July 8, 2017 | Steve Deace

Saw Spider-Man: Homecoming, and it lives up to its reviews. As well as the “what if John Hughes did a super hero movie” description you may have seen used. The movie has a lot of heart, and nearly flawlessly captures the original essence of Stan Lee’s creation: what if superhero was still in high school struggling with hormones, class, girls, and acne?

Tom Holland aces his dual role, and the writing is top notch for the most part. And as he always does, Robert Downey Jr. shines in his scenes as Tony Stark/Iron Man. The final 10 minutes of the film is the perfect ending, and both the mid-credits and post-credits scene are noteworthy. In fact, this might be the funniest post-credits scene yet.

However, the film is not without its flaws, though they are minor and involve secondary characters. Though both characters are noteworthy in the history of Spider-Man.

I can’t really get into the issue with Zendaya’s mysterious character without spoiling it, but when you see the movie you’ll realize what I’m talking about. Then for some reason they decided to make Flash Thompson a scrawny Guatemalan kid who is a nerd and not a jock.

Listen, I get the diversity “touch-em-all” mindset. But if you want to give that role to someone of a different demo, could they not be half the size of Tom Holland so they’re actually a believable bully? Holland looks like The Rock compared to this kid. Not to mention the whole point of the character is he is the jock contrast to Peter’s nerd. Holland is this actor’s superior physically and academically. It’s simply not believable for Parker to take a servile role to him.

However, those are minor grievances in the grand scheme of things. Our whole family loved the movie, and I haven’t even mentioned Michael Keaton’s performance as the Vulture. In particular he really shines out of costume in one scene that, again, I can’t discuss without divulging a spoiler. But it’s a tremendous scene.

Overall, though, I highly recommend. I’d say it’s better than Guardians of the Galaxy 2, which I really liked, but just a little behind Wonder Woman.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.