Steve Deace's Today Thoughts on Trump's Russian Stuff

Source: Steve Deace's Facebook | July 9, 2017 | Steve Deace

…….

I post this, perhaps the longest disclaimer ever, because what I’m going to say next won’t get me any coveted cable news appearances. Because it doesn’t put me on any side, except the side of what I think is the truth. Much of our industry, Right and Left, don’t believe that’s what you want. And they have the ratings books and Google analytics to prove it. The data says you want your belly rubbed. But for those who have ears to hear, let them hear the following.

Trump is killing himself with this Russia stuff, and putting everything good he has done and could still do for the country at risk with it.

There, I said it. The aftermath of this meeting with Putin is anywhere from liability to disaster. He’s contradicting his own Secretary of State. His daughter taking his place before world leaders, despite the fact she has no qualifications other than winning the lucky sperm club. The awkward videos of Trump rambling about looking for a friend. It’s dreadful optics.

He looks weak next to Putin, and the number one thing the American people loathe is weakness. It’s why Obama’s numbers went up every time the GOP surrendered to him, and how Obama stayed more popular with voters than his policies often were. It explains why Democrats around the country were getting their clocks cleaned during the Obama years, but Obama remained relatively popular for such a divisive figure. Sure, to us Obama looked weak. But next to John Boehner he looked like Denzel Washington in Training Day.

Trump should’ve never done the Putin meeting. There was no way he could win. He’s unevenly yoked as an American president with a hostile press, while Putin is a vile gangster/dictator/thug who can just have skeptical reporters disappear for good. Thus, Putin was always going to win the narrative award, even if Trump were a disciplined and savvy politician. Which he is not.

Whomever on his staff supported or suggested this should be fired. It reopens all of the Leftist fevered dreams we’ve endured the past seven months, especially as more stories emerge of Trump family members/campaign people meeting with Russians. Because there’s only two reasons why so many members of Trump’s family/campaign would have so many meetings with a country that is no ally prior to taking office, and neither of them are good — malfeasance or incompetence.

We all know this, including many of those weakly attempting to explain it away. They know it, too. They also know what we’d be saying if the shoe were on the other foot. Just as we know what those on the Left now talking about loyalty to the country and projecting strength would be saying as well. Each side played their role a few years ago, when Obama told Putin’s chosen proxy that he had to win re-election in 2012 so he could then do whatever he wants.

Imagine what each side would be saying right now if Obama had nominated a former member of Putin’s payroll to be his National Security Adviser, after having another Putin paid employee run his presidential campaign? All the same words, but they would just switch sides.

At the very least, it’s a terrible look. And one Trump needs to be far more sensitive to. If anything, it should prompt him to be even harder on the vile Putin to insulate himself. Instead of ridiculously tweeting today he’s going to partner with him on cyber security.

For real? What’s next? Partnering with North Korea on missile defense? Partnering with the mob on clean money? Partnering with Hillary on email firewalls? It’s laughable in the extreme.

There is no 4-D chess happening here. There is nothing happening here except a president who has got to learn very quickly two things:

1) That he needs to stop hoping/seeking fairness and respect from his domestic political opponents, who will oppose him no matter what he does because it’s good business. So move on and get about keeping the promises you made to the American people. Rather than watching “tha shows” all day and reacting to them like an Internet troll.

2) Men like Putin are not like the trust fund kids with big bank but no balls he out-chutzpahed for vital Manhattan real estate deals his whole life. Nor are they girly-men liberal reporters who pee sitting down and wouldn’t eat at Chick-fil-a if it was a choice between that or starvation. These are a different kind of alpha than Trump has encountered before. The leaders of Russia, North Korea, and China freely order their opponents to gulags or death before breakfast each morning. With a seared conscience, a crooked smile, and no shame to boot. In fact, they’re proud of it, and have/keep their power because of it. These are not men to be trifled with, but confronted and leveraged.

Can someone, or a group of someones, in our movement with Trump’s ear actually communicate these things to him? Before he blows his presidency and proves progressive globalists’ every agitprop to our generational detriment?

I want him appointing another Neil Gorsuch, heck I’d like him to appoint another 2-3 of them in fact and maybe even better. I want another Scott Pruitt at the EPA, and every other godforsaken statist monstrosity that is killing the country.

But on the road we’re on, we’re going to end up checking every box for progressives in both parties, and help them explain why we can’t have any more politicians outside their anointed Overton Window in the future. And that is checkmate on American Exceptionalism.

Just as the Left needs an agenda other than #Resist, so do we need one other than “CNN is ISIS.” And if they blow healthcare, like it looks they’re trying to do, a lot more people are going to suddenly find this Trump-Russia narrative (Trump himself keeps feeding) credible, when their premiums keep going up after 9 years of promises to stop it.

There, I’m done with a rant that won’t gain me many friends or followers, but perhaps needed to be said nonetheless. Now to church. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #17228

“…there’s only two reasons why so many members of Trump’s family/campaign would have so many meetings with a country that is no ally prior to taking office, and neither of them are good — malfeasance or incompetence.”

Consistent #17229

slhancock1948 #17243

I’m not sure he’s figured out what he’s supposed to be doing as president, yet!

Pray for righteousness to be restored and for the peace of Jerusalem

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.