Steve Deave's Movie Review: The Case for Christ

Source: Steve Deace's Facebook | April 7, 2017 | Steve Deace

Just saw The Case for Christ movie, based on the best-selling book which played a huge role in my own conversion. The movie is sitting at 80% on the movie review site Rotten Tomatoes, which is an extraordinary score for an overtly evangelistic film.

And there’s a reason for that.

The acting and story-telling in this movie is top notch. It even manages to make the cheesy conversion scene cliche not come across as cheesy but believable. It starts off a little slow, but once the investigation begins the movie gets better and better as it goes on. One of the experts Lee Strobel grills is a former decorated archaeologist turned Catholic priest. When Strobel asks him if the crucifixion is true, and Jesus is God, why would he put himself through all of that.

The priest’s response “for love” made me tear up it was so powerful.

The rest of the movie does an excellent job of not treating believers and unbelievers alike two-dimensionally or with typical story tropes. Rather, this is a believable conversion. Including the conflict, regrets over past sins, and awkwardness at times of a new life that goes with a sincere conversion.

Both Amy and I would highly recommend it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.