Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies

Source: The Hill | September 18, 2020 | John Kruzel

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the liberal leader of the Supreme Court and a trailblazing champion of women’s rights, died on Friday. She was 87 years old.

Seen as a moderate when President Bill Clinton nominated her to the bench in 1993, Ginsburg went on to leave a lasting mark in the realm of gender equality, civil liberties and pay equity, and grew to achieve improbable late-in-life recognition as a pop culture icon and hero of the progressive movement.

Her first major opinion as a justice came in 1996 when she wrote the majority decision in United States v. Virginia. The ruling struck down the Virginia Military Institute’s 157-year-old policy of male-only admissions as unconstitutional, and set a stricter legal standard for government action that treats men and women differently.

……..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #42976

Consistent #42978

Consistent #42979

Consistent #42980

Consistent #42981

Consistent #42982

Consistent #42983

Consistent #42991

Consistent #42992

EVERYDAY #42994

I’m actually saddened by Justice Ginsburg’s passing. However I feel about the court decisions she wrote or participated in, Justice Ginsburg was one tough lady. If I had to go through the chemotherapy and surgeries she endured, i would have retired and tried to enjoy the time I had left. But Justice Ginsburg soldiered on. i have to admire her for that.

Even sadder for me is reading some of the comments from people who didn’t like her. What good does it do to rehash old bitterness and resentment about her court decisions? Justice Ginsburg is dead. Whatever she did in life will be judged by God now. And BTW, none of us will escape that judgment when it’s our turn to go. Instead of carrying on about some of the things she did, maybe we should examine our conscience and correct or atone for what we have done or are doing now.

I wish the lady rest in peace and God’s comfort for her family, friends and colleagues.

Consistent #43001

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.