Supreme Court rejects Texas-led effort to overturn Biden’s victory

Source: Politico | December 11, 2020 | Josh Gerstein and Kyle Cheney

The move likely marks the end of the line for Trump’s legal push to reverse his defeat.

The Supreme Court has rejected a longshot bid by Texas and other Republican-led states to overturn President-elect Joe Biden’s victory in last month’s election, dashing President Donald Trump’s last-ditch hope that the justices effectively hand him a second term.

In a brief order Friday evening, the justices summarily refused the unusual case Texas filed Monday against four swing states whose voters favored Biden.

“Texas has not demonstrated a judicially cognizable interest in the manner in which another State conducts its elections,” the court wrote in its unsigned order.

No justice indicated any endorsement of Texas’ arguments. Justices Samuel Alito and Clarence Thomas issued a statement saying they would have allowed Texas’ to file its case under a rarely-used procedure for interstate disputes, but they said “would not grant other relief.”

The decision brings an abrupt, unceremonious end to Trump’s legal effort to essentially scrap the democratic process in order to preserve his presidency, a six-week-long crusade in which he has spread false conspiracies about voter fraud to drive up distrust of the U.S. election system. Trump dubbed the Supreme Court gambit “the big one” and had publicly pressed the justices to rule for him to “save America.”

Texas’s audacious legal move, lodged by its scandal-plagued attorney general Ken Paxton, won Trump’s endorsement and the backing of 126 Republican members of the House, including GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy. However, the attempt also prompted an angry reaction from the targeted states and led many Democrats and some GOP officials to denounce the effort as a dangerous assault on the foundation of American democracy.

“Every American who cares about the rule of law should take comfort that the Supreme Court — including all three of President Trump’s picks — closed the book on the nonsense,” Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) tweeted Friday evening.

……..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #45359

Consistent #45360

Consistent #45361

Consistent #45362

Consistent #45363

Consistent #45364

Consistent #45365

Consistent #45366

Consistent #45367

Consistent #45368

Consistent #45369

Consistent #45370

Consistent #45371

Consistent #45376

Consistent #45377

EVERYDAY #45378

I love the Order tossing this turkey. Some are whining about Justices Alito’s and Thomas’ “dissent,” but actually, it’s not really a dissent. Essentially, they disagreed with their colleagues about ruling without a hearing but indicated they would not grant any other relief to the plaintiffs.

As for the guy on Newsmax who said so-called conservatives are wondering whether Justices Kavanaugh, Barrett and Gorsuch understood the “gravity of the situation” — well, first of all, I don’t know who would say such things, but whoever they are, they don’t sound like conservatives to me. Secondly, I think the justices understood perfectly that there was nothing grave about this case. The justices are not isolated from the rest of the world. They are well aware of what Trump and his allies are trying to do with all this litigation and they and their colleagues were not about to go along with any of it. I suppose that this “betrayal” by all three justices appointed by Trump must be eating at him. He expected he had them in his pocket because they would be “grateful” to him for their appointment. He was wrong.

The one thing that bothers me is now these justices will be targeted by the fringe groups in the Trump cult. Already I understand that on Parler, a few thinly veiled threats have been made. Lets hope the FBI and other law enforcement which monitors social media will act if the rhetoric escalates.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.