Ted Cruz blasts Tennessee GOP governor for declaration honoring early KKK leader

Source: The Hill | July 14, 2019 | Justin Wise

GOP Sen. Ted Cruz (Texas) is denouncing Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee (R) for signing a proclamation honoring Nathan Bedford Forrest, a Confederate general and early Ku Klux Klan leader.

“This is WRONG,” Cruz said on Twitter on Friday.

“Nathan Bedford Forrest was a Confederate general & a delegate to the 1868 Democratic Convention. He was also a slave trader & the 1st Grand Wizard of the KKK.” he added. “Tennessee should not have an official day (tomorrow) honoring him. Change the law.”

The Tennessee governor is facing increasing scrutiny over a state law that marks a day to honor Forrest.

Lee last week signed a proclamation for July 13 to be observed as “Nathan Bedford Forrest Day.” The proclamation was in accordance with previously signed state law, according to Fox 17 Nashville

………

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #30610

Consistent #30611

Consistent #30623

EVERYDAY #30625

Actually, on this I disagree with Ted. For one thing, this is a state matter and since Ted doesn’t live in Tennessee, he’s rather out of line for getting himself involved. For another, there is some dispute that Forrest was the bad guy he was labeled. There are also some stories that later in life he came to regret his involvement in the KKK.

One last thing: Ted’ remarks smack of the rhetoric used by so many out there who want to erase any mention of chunks of our history they deem offensive — such as Founding Fathers who owned slaves. History is full of good and bad and when we remove even mere mention of the bad, we do a great disservice to future generations who are bound to repeat it.

ConservativeGranny #30626

Good points. My first thought was why isn’t Cruz more concerned about Donald Trump and his behavior both past and present. The other guy is dead and can’t hurt anyone. I suppose he’s a safer target. Forrest can’t run a challenger against Cruz to punish him for his comments. Unfortunately Ted Cruz seems very selective with his moral outrage.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.