Ted Cruz has a Delta smelt plan: Disco ball, a little Barry White

Source: Sacramento Bee | April 30, 2016 | Christopher Cadelago

Republican presidential candidate Sen. Ted Cruz mixed some nightclub schtick with serious criticism of current regulations and policies as he addressed California’s GOP convention on Saturday, April 30, 2016, in Burlingame. His biggest laugh line came while talking about the Delta smelt, protected by the Endangered Species Act, which he basically said would make a nice hors d’oeuvres. Cruz also derided “out-of-control liberalism.” Andrew Seng The Sacramento Bee

Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz, speaking at the state Republican Party Convention, dug into the state’s complex water policies Saturday, suggesting that it might be possible to replenish the Delta smelt population with a little romantic music and a disco ball.

More than a trillion gallons of fresh water have been dumped into the Pacific Ocean “because of a little three-inch bait fish,” Cruz said, saying the state’s environmental policies have overreached in protecting it.

“Now I am sure it drives our friends in the media crazy when I observe that in my experience three-inch fish go great with cheese and crackers,” Cruz said to applause during the afternoon speech.

He said the federal Endangered Species Act, rather than acting as a cudgel to stymie economic development, should have a provision for mitigation that if the population of the threatened species increases, the development could go forward.

“You put up a disco ball, you play some Barry White, you let nature take its course. If you increase the population for fisheries, 20 percent, 30 percent, you ought to be able to go with sending that water on to the farms and ranches in California who need it,” Cruz said. “That’s a win-win.”

….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #5566

CA Surveyor #5572

Little known fact: “Delta Smelt” are not native to the California Delta.

They were seeded into the delta by importing them as a bait fish in the mid 1800s.

liberty #5573

Little known fact: “Delta Smelt” are not native to the California Delta.

They were seeded into the delta by importing them as a bait fish in the mid 1800s.

Very interesting fact. Now the “must be saved!” California politics is crazy and they keep exporting it to other states. Colorado is being overrun.

CA Surveyor #5575

My youngest daughter and her husband lived up in the hills above Golden Colorado for about 10 years, and they can tell crazy Colorado bureaucracy stories that will curl your flesh!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.