Ted Cruz Is 'Awakening' 'Dormant Evangelicals' to Vote for Him, FRC Pres. …

Source: Christian Post | February 5, 2016 | Samuel Smith

Ted Cruz Is ‘Awakening’ ‘Dormant Evangelicals’ to Vote for Him, FRC Pres. Tony Perkins Says

The high evangelical turnout in the Iowa caucuses Monday is proof that Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz is ‘awakening’ and ‘energizing’ Christian conservative voters who did not turn out in the 2012 election, leading conservative activist Tony Perkins said Wednesday.

As 64 percent of Iowa’s Republican caucus goers were evangelicals, the staunch conservative Texas senator won the caucus with just over 27 percent of the vote and three-plus-percentage-point victory over GOP frontrunner Donald Trump.

Perkins, who endorsed Cruz last week and was later announced the chair of the Pro-Lifers for Cruz coalition, told The Christian Post that the results in Iowa are an indicator that Cruz has what it takes to “go the distance,” thanks to the support that he will receive from evangelical voters who stayed away from the polls in 2008 and 2012 because they weren’t inspired enough by the GOP nominees to go place their votes.

“The interesting thing here about Ted Cruz, and I think we saw this in Iowa, is what I call ‘the Ted effect,'” Perkins, the president of the Family Research Council, said. “That is that there have been a large number of evangelicals — we know this from the 2012 numbers, that about 26 million evangelicals did not vote. Those are dormant evangelicals that Ted Cruz, I believe, is awakening, and that is what we saw in Iowa with a record turnout. Those guys that have been sitting on the sidelines, finally see somebody that they are energized and enthused enough that they can come in and support.”

….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #568

Although pundits thought before the caucus that a higher turnout would improve Trump’s chances of winning, that was not the case. Thirty-four percent of the evangelical Republican caucus goers voted for Cruz, while 22 percent voted for Trump and 21 percent voted for Florida Sen. Marco Rubio.

“Predictions were that with new voters that there was going to be a turnout of over 140,000 and that was going to bode well for Trump,” Perkins explained. “But what we found out is that was not the case. With 180,000 people turning out, which shattered all the records, the majority did not break for Trump, they broke for Cruz.”

“I believe it is those evangelicals that have not been motivated and have not found someone that they can enthusiastically support, they have found it in Ted and they have showed up to support him,” Perkins continued.

….

plewis #569

He has this evangelicals vote… Though I was not dormant…

How anyone could just not vote is beyond me.

At least do a write in if nothing else…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.