Ted Cruz Plans to Filibuster Any Supreme Court Nominee Made by President Obama

Source: ABC News | February 14, 2016 | Jessica Hopper

Watch the interview at the site.

Republican presidential candidate Sen. Ted Cruz said on “This Week” that he plans to filibuster any Supreme Court nominee made by President Obama to replace the late Justice Antonin Scalia.

Cruz described the Supreme Court vacancy left by Scalia as having a “profound impact” on the Republican primary that will change the contours of the presidential race. He argued voters — not a “lame-duck president” — should decide who will replace the longtime conservative judge who died Saturday.

“This is a 5-4 court — the next election needs to be a referendum on the court,” Cruz told ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos. “People need to decide.”

President Obama said Saturday he planned to nominate a replacement for the vacancy on the Supreme Court. Cruz said he would “absolutely” filibuster before the Senate could vote on the nominee.

“This should be a decision for the people,” Cruz said. “Let the election decide. If the Democrats want to replace this nominee, they need to win the election. But I don’t think the American people want a court that will strip our religious liberties. I don’t think the American people want a court that will mandate unlimited abortions on demand, partial birth abortion with taxpayer funding and no parental notification and I don’t think the American people want a court that will write the Second Amendment out of the Constitution.”

….

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #1048

Consistent #1055

EVERYDAY #1058

Bravo!!!

But I was told that Obama could just appoint a justice if the Senate is on leave. Is that true?

If it is true, Cruz and his colleagues should take turns camping out in the Senate chamber so it is never vacant and Obama can’t appoint another radical liberal to the Court.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.