Ted Cruz to self-quarantine after contact with man infected by coronavirus

Source: Politico | March 8, 2020 | Rishika Dugyala

The Texas senator said he would stay home for 14 days after interacting with the infected person at the recent CPAC conference in Maryland.

Sen. Ted Cruz announced on Sunday that he would self-quarantine for 14 days because he interacted with the person who tested positive for coronavirus at the recent Conservative Political Action Conference.

In a statement released on Twitter, the Texas Republican wrote that he was informed of the interaction on Saturday night, and that he had engaged in a brief conversation and handshake with the affected individual.

He said he had consulted with several medical authorities — some at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Department of Health and Human Services — as well as Vice President Mike Pence, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and the newly minted White House chief of staff, Mark Meadows.

“I’m not experiencing any symptoms, and I feel fine and healthy,” Cruz said in the statement. “Given that the interaction was 10 days ago, that the average incubation period is 5-6 days, that the interaction was for less than a minute, and that I have no current symptoms, the medical authorities have advised me that the odds of transmission from the other individual to me were extremely low.”

He added that physicians advised him that the interaction did not meet the CDC criteria for self-quarantine. However, “out of an abundance of caution” for his constituents, Cruz said, he will remain in his Texas home for a full 14 days.

Cruz has been one of several coronavirus “hawks” in the Senate. He called for a China travel ban in January, has consistently raised questions about U.S. preparedness and held a subcommittee hearing just four days ago on how global travel could fuel the spread of the virus.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #36178

EVERYDAY #36182

This is class. This is leadership. Donnie could take some lessons from Ted.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.