Teen who walked over 7 miles to work met a police officer who changed his life

Source: Conservative Review | October 3, 2016 | Chris Pandolfo

When 19-year-old Jourdan Duncan was stopped by a police officer on his way home from work, he feared the worst and thought he was in trouble.

Corporal Kirk Keffer of the Benicia Police Department saw Duncan walking alone, at night, in the industrial area of town approaching a highway overpass in the small Northern California city. He stopped the young man and asked him why he was walking alone at 11 p.m.

….

As it turned out, Duncan was walking over two hours each way, every day from the city of Vallejo to go to work in Benicia because he doesn’t own a car and would rather not burden anyone by asking for a ride.

“I didn’t want to always call somebody and be like, ‘Hey, can you pick me up?’” he told The Washington Post’s Amy Wang regarding the seven-mile trip. “That would have took a lot of people’s time.”

Duncan told Cpl. Keffer that he was saving money for college and would like to join the California Highway Patrol as an officer one day.

Impressed by the young man’s work ethic and dedication, Cpl. Keffer gave him a ride home. But that wasn’t all he did for him. Upon returning to the police department, Keffer spoke to his shift supervisor about rewarding the impressive teenager he just met for his dedication and hard work.

A vote was cast by the Benicia Police Officers’ Association, and the board decided to purchase a bike for Duncan.

….

Surprising Duncan at work the next Monday, the police officers presented him a new $500 mountain bike with “a reliable gearing system that could handle Benicia’s steep hills.” According to the Post, the owner of the bicycle shop was so impressed by Duncan’s story he donated a lighting system, brake light, and a helmet as well.

….

Cpl. Keffer has also offered to take Jourdan on a ride-along for a day in the life of a police officer.

“It’s something I’ve been interested in since high school. A lot of my family members, they’re in law enforcement,” Duncan said. “It’s like, what they do and, due to a lot of people thinking that there are bad cops out there, I want to prove that all cops aren’t bad — which is true, due to what just happened to me.”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #10390

There’s always hope.

slhancock1948 #10397

There are still those with the American spirit, even though the left has done everything it can to destroy it. Great story!

Pray for righteousness to be restored and for the peace of Jerusalem

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.