Texas GOP chair denies he floated secession over election results

Source: The Hill | December 14, 2020 | Dominick Mastrangelo

The chairman of the Texas Republican Party denied he suggested the state secede from the United States after the Supreme Court tossed out a lawsuit from officials there seeking to overturn the result of the 2020 presidential election in other states. 

“This decision establishes a precedent that says states can violate the US constitution and not be held accountable,” Chairman Allen West said in a statement following the Friday-night ruling. “Perhaps law-abiding states should bond together and form a Union of states that will abide by the constitution.”

West’s comments sparked controversy, with some saying his comments could be taken for advocacy of Texas’s secession from the rest of the country. Illinois Rep. Adam Kinzinger, a Republican, called for West to be fired.

In a statement on Monday, West denied supporting secession. 

“I found some of the responses to these words rather perplexing, actually ignorant,” West said. “Oh boy, you would have thought me to be the anti-Christ. But consider those words. They borrow from the same ideas contained in our Preamble to our Constitution of forming a more perfect Union. I am still trying to find where I said anything about ‘secession.'”

West argued that states who he says have violated the Constitution by certifying what he and other Republicans have alleged to be fraudulent votes for President-elect Joe Biden are the “real perpetrators of secession.”

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #45424

EVERYDAY #45426

Yeah. Right.

Well, I don’t care. If Texas and the other states want to leave, they have my permission. I don’t plan to travel to or do any business with any of them.

And shame on you, Colonel West. I thought you were a smart, upstanding guy who would never resort to such nonsense. Hope that Kool-Aid tasted good.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.