Texas GOP lawmaker Will Hurd retiring

Source: The Hill | August 1, 2019 | Justin Wise

Rep. Will Hurd (R-Texas), the only African-American Republican in the House of Representatives, announced Thursday night that he will not seek re-election in 2020.

“I have made the decision to not seek reelection for the 23rd Congressional District of Texas in order to pursue opportunities outside the halls of Congress to solve problems at the nexus between technology and national security,” Hurd said on Twitter.

Hurd, who was first elected to Congress in 2014, said in statement that he left a job in the CIA to help give the lower chamber leadership in areas related to intelligence and national security. 

“While Congress has a role in these issues, so does the private sector and civil society,” he said. “After reflecting on how best to help our country address these challenges, I’m leaving the House of Representatives to help our country in a different way.”

Hurd added that he would continue to remain in politics to “help make sure the Republican Party looks like America.”

Hurd’s abrupt decision to not seek re-election comes amid a period of flux inside the Republican Party. He becomes the sixth GOP lawmaker and third House Republican from Texas to announce his retirement in the past two weeks. 

………

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #30994

Consistent #30995

Consistent #30996

Consistent #30997

Consistent #30999

Consistent #31000

ConservativeGranny #31002

I wonder if any of these retiring GOP will be voting their conscience now for impeachment. They will have nothing to fear from Trump if they do.

Consistent #31004

Consistent #31005

Consistent #31007

Consistent #31008

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.