The Dynasty Ends With King Donald

Source: Politico | September 9, 2019 | Jack Shafer

There will be no President Ivanka. No President Jared. And certainly no President Donald Jr.

The United States of America might not be a hereditary monarchy, but that doesn’t keep us from willing political dynasties into existence. Speaking at a California Republican Party convention over the weekend, President Donald Trump’s campaign manager, Brad Parscale, predicted that “the Trumps will be a dynasty that will last for decades.”

As if measuring the Trump children for their imperial purple robes, Parscale effused like a courtier. “I think they’re all amazing people,” he said, “with amazing capabilities. I think you see that from Don Jr. I think you see that from Ivanka. You see it from Jared.”

You probably don’t take Parscale’s forecast seriously, but the Trump family does, according to McKay Coppins’ feature in the October Atlantic. Inside the family, Donald Jr. and Ivanka are battling one another for their father’s favor in an old-fashioned succession battle. Junior has the political edge, exciting the Trump faithful when he goes on TV or the hustings. But Ivanka, always the favorite child, still rouses the old man, who swoons at the thought of her becoming the first female president.

Before this jabber of a Trump dynasty grows thick enough to choke the commentariat, let’s mow it down. There will be no Trump dynasty. No President Ivanka. No President Jared. And certainly no President Donald Jr. If I were making book on the odds, I’d give Barron Trump a better shot at winning the office in 2060—when he’ll be 54 years old—than any of his kin if only because his father’s taint will have ebbed to the point that we will be able to consider him his own man and not a dynastic heir.

American voters, informed by a revolution—it’s kinda famous; you may have heard of it—in which the hereditary monarchy was considered evil, wisely recoil when offered the opportunity to create modern presidential dynasties. The best way to read the 2016 election is as a referendum against presidential dynasties. On the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton, inheritor of her husband’s royal plumage and all of her husband’s fundraising acumen, failed to rouse enough Democrats to beat a first-time campaigner with no political experience. And this was the second time she lost—in her first round she was smoked by a first-term U.S. senator! On the Republican side, Jeb Bush, brother and son of a president, spent more than $130 million and reaped a total of three delegates before bailing out.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #31660

EVERYDAY #31662

I’m almost tempted to vote for the Democrat next year just to do my part to prevent this dynasty from happening. I don’t want to do it, but I don’t see any other way to get this monster out of the White House.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.