The Problem With Thinking That Donald J. Trump Was Divinely Appointed

Source: RedState | January 27, 2018 | Kimberly Ross

Trump the candidate, who the GOP clearly wanted, must be the political messiah we’ve all been waiting for! After all, if God wanted someone else, he would have allowed that candidate to be successful, right?

And so, major rationalizations were born that are alive and well to this very day.

God knew Trump would win, thus, his presidency is divinely blessed and we shall hold him in high esteem, no matter what.

……

You know who else won? Twice? Barack Obama. The self-described community organizer. The guy who played identity politics. The man who ushered in Obamacare. The same individual who told Planned Parenthood “God bless you!”

He won twice.

God himself did not stop all in the heavenly realm at the sound of Obama’s victory and exclaim, “Whoa. I did not see that coming.” In fact, you may be able to say that – gasp – Barack Obama was divinely appointed. Why, if we take this line of thinking to its logical conclusion, this means all leaders around the word are divinely appointed?!

……

So, great. Donald J. Trump was divinely appointed. I can’t argue with this statement. However, the problem is that this truth now has become a free pass for his behavior. Anything goes if you’ve been handpicked by Jesus to lead the world’s superpower. Anything in your past can be glossed over because you’ve been touched by the holy. Repentance? Asking God for forgiveness? Not necessary.

That may sound like I’m exaggerating, but this is essentially what the Jerry Falwell, Jr., Tony Perkins, and Franklin Graham-types are saying. And like it or not, they are the faces of modern Evangelicalism. Because of that, they’re hurting not only a community of faith that should stand athwart contemporary society and all its ills but also a political party that likes to pretend it’s today’s leading moral compass.

……

Trump is the rude, big tough guy on the playground who has a questionable background, but he’s doing it for Jesus! Sorry, that’s exactly how it sounds, and that sound is a dumb rationalization.

The gospel during 2016 turned into “beat Hillary Clinton” and anything else was secondary or further down the list. Getting back that White House is what mattered. Period. This didn’t stop with his election night victory, though. It’s a leading theme as his higher-profile supporters in religious circles discuss his wins and losses one year after he assumed the throne. You read what Perkins said. Falwell continues to excitedly preach the Trump gospel during media appearances. Graham tweets out glowing praise for the guy.

And I expect it will continue all the way through his first term no matter how he behaves, speaks, or what is revealed about his already seedy, very recent, unrepentant past.

……

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.