The Rubio Rally that Wasn't

Source: Townhall | 8 March, 2016 | Rebecca Hagelin

The man was standing alone, leaning against the wall in the still half-empty conference room that the Marco Rubio campaign had rented for the senator’s “big” Tampa rally. It was only 15 minutes before start time, and people were only trickling in.

“Are you a Rubio supporter?” I asked the 60-something gentleman.

“No. I’m just here to see the train wreck.”

While in line 30 minutes before the event waiting (with only a couple of hundred other people) for the door to open, I heard several say, not that they had come to support Rubio, but that they were now undecided about who to vote for.  Anxious campaign staff kept looking for crowds that weren’t there, and would never materialize.

The Tampa Convention Center was the spot for this ill-fated rally.  The expectation of those around me was that they would be among thousands of raucous Rubio supporters inside the main arena.  No one seemed prepared for such a dismal showing in one of the largest cities in the home state of the man who would be president. The stagnation of spirits was clear: even avid supporters’ faces revealed that they realized that Marco Rubio is going down.

How sad for the once promising young senator – the firebrand that inspired Floridians across the state enough to topple the  Establishment and win a seat in the United States Senate.  I was one of those people who believed everything Marco said back then; who saw him as the great hope for national restoration of conservative values.

But like many of my fellow Floridians who supported Marco, I soon realized that he had kicked me in the gut. The young senator broke his promises, belied many of his conservative principles, and ran right into the loving arms of the likes of Senator Chuck Schumer.  Marco locked arms with the liberals and the Establishment, and ended up betraying the very voters who elected him as well as the many legal immigrants in Florida and across the country who had played by the rules.

But back totonight’s event.  Several times in that last 15 minutes before Marco arrived, folks and staff on the stage tried to rev up the crowd.  Cheers that they started quickly petered out, ending in an awkward verbal silence.  The rock music blaring through large speakers was turned up instead.

read more at http://townhall.com/columnists/rebeccahagelin/2016/03/08/the-rubio-rally-that-wasnt-n2130095

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Discussion
  • slhancock1948 #2303

I pray that he makes his decision publicly today or tomorrow! He really SHOULD. But, then, we know so well how people’s egos will not let them admit the truth.

Pray for righteousness to be restored and for the peace of Jerusalem

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.