The sinking fantasy that Trump would defend the Constitution

Source: Washington Post | August 5, 2016 | George Will

Like shipwrecked mariners clinging to a floating mast, many Republicans rationalize supporting Donald Trump because of “the court.” This two-word incantation means: Because we care so much for the Constitution, it is supremely important to entrust to Trump the making of Supreme Court nominations. Well.

In a Republican candidates debate, Trump complained that Ted Cruz had criticized Trump’s sister, a federal judge. Trump said: “He’s been criticizing my sister for signing a certain bill. You know who else signed that bill? Justice Samuel Alito, a very conservative member of the Supreme Court, with my sister, signed that bill.” Trump, the supposed savior of the Supreme Court, thinks federal judges sign bills.

The mast-clingers say: Well, sure, he knows nothing about U.S. government, including the Constitution, which he vows to defend all the way to “Article XII.” He will, however, choose wise advisers and humbly defer to them.

This does not quite seem like him, but the mast-clingers say: Don’t worry, he already has compiled a list of admirable potential nominees, and, stickler that he is for consistency and predictability, he will stick to this script written by strangers. This, too, does not quite seem like Trump, but the mast-clingers say: Don’t worry, he has said enough to reveal what his “instincts” are. Indeed he has.

….

Granted, Trump knows nothing about current debates concerning the court’s proper role. We will, however, trust that he will suddenly become deferential to others’ preferences about judges. And we will ignore his promise to continue Obama’s authoritarian uses of the executive branch that will further degrade the legislative branch. We will do this because we care so very much for the Constitution.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #9058

ConservativeGranny #9059

It’s the second of the GOP’s “bogey man” phrases. First it was “Hillary Clinton!” now it’s “The Supreme Court!”.

Don’t they realize that the biggest bogey man is DT. Dementor Trump?

ConstitutionalConservative #9062

Defend the constitution, I would be surprised if trump has ever read the constitution; but he is learning that whatever it says he doesn’t like it, as it is entirely opposed to his agenda, whatever that may be, I mean does anyone really know.

And they would have us to believe we need to vote for the lesser of two evils, I mean all trump has to offer is he ain’t hillary. So what is the choice offered; either vote for Satan or vote for the Devil.

Personally I want a clear conscience I’m writing in Ted Cruz… satan aka the devil be damned.

slhancock1948 #9064

I’m with you, CC. I’m writing in Ted Cruz! There is no difference between the anti-christ and the false prophet. They both serve Satan. They are both controlled by Satan as well. Therefore they will do his bidding, not the will of the people.

Pray for righteousness to be restored and for the peace of Jerusalem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.