The Trump Abortion Controversy Proves It's Time for an Article V Convention

Source: Conservative Review | 4.3.2016 | Jeffrey Lord

Abortion is in the news — again.

Donald Trump put it there this time with a misstep that suggested women should be legally punished for having abortions, a position which he quickly corrected. The usual media fireworks followed.

Question? Forget Donald Trump. Why, 43 years after Roe v. Wade was supposed to settle the abortion issue — is abortion still an issue? And not only an issue, but such a hot button issue that to merely step sideways on it results in a cascade of hot media coverage.

There is a reason and the Obama Supreme Court nomination of Judge Merrick Garland to replace the late Justice Antonin Scalia is surfacing the issue yet again.

The real problem here is that liberals fail to carry the day with their social agenda in terms of gaining popular support. They have become increasingly totally unwilling to make the case for abortion, same-sex marriage or who knows what next to the American people. Instead they use the Supreme Court and the judiciary in general to “settle” issues. Except, of course, it doesn’t work out that way in practice.

In fact, the Court’s liberal stalwart Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is no fan of Roe for exactly that reason. Here she is discussing the situation, as reported at the liberal TPM site.

Ginsburg has also said that the ruling damaged the growing movement for abortion rights by going “too far, too fast” and catalyzing the conservative pro-life community, which considers Roe a monumental act of judicial overreach. Her words ring truer than ever today as the movement that was then on the decline has since has been successful at unwinding Roe protections in the Supreme Court and at dramatically curtailing abortion rights in red states, potentially nudging the issue back to the justices in the foreseeable future.

“That was my concern, that the court had given opponents of access to abortion a target to aim at relentlessly,” she told students at the

– See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/04/trump-abortion-controversy-proves-its-time-for-an-article-v-convention#sthash.PCpzXh2v.dpuf

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Discussion
  • slhancock1948 #3687

I know this guy is a DT supporter, but he does write well on other subjects. I am perplexed that he got on the DT train, to be honest. But we are not going to settle our country’s issues with a court that over-reaches and thinks it can make law. It has to be reined in. A convention of the states is dangerous, but an Article V Convention is more limited. It is focused one a few issues that must remain under the prevue of the original Constitution. I will be praying that more states get this going and we get term limits, a return to original intent, maybe a removing of the 17th amendment, etc. I think these are some of the amendments on the agenda.

Pray for righteousness to be restored and for the peace of Jerusalem

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.