Trudeau: Canadian, US border to remain closed 'for now'

Source: The Hill | February 28, 2021 | Zack Budryk

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said in an interview to be broadcast on Sunday it is too early to make a decision on reopening his country’s border with the U.S.

“The approach that [President Biden] is taking on COVID right now much more aligns with where Canada has been for quite a while, grounded in science, grounded in protection of people as the best way to protect the economy, and understanding that, that being there to support people is absolutely essential so that we can get through this as quickly as possible,” Trudeau told NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“It’s great to see America re-engage. I think certainly there were things that were more challenging under the previous administration in terms of moving the dial in the right direction on the international stage,” he added.

Asked by NBC’s Chuck Todd how soon border restrictions would be listed, Trudeau responded: “I think there’s an awful lot of different metrics we need to look at on.”

“Obviously case counts, presence of variants, hospitalizations — all these things factor into the expert analysis. Our public health experts telling us what the right measures are and how concerned we have to be about, about variants,” he added. “Obviously as vaccinations increase, we’re all hoping for good news and to get through this …. but for now, we all need to keep safe, and that means keeping them in place.”

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #47664

EVERYDAY #47668

Smart on Canada’s part. And I would recommend to the PM that once more of our people are vaccinated and when he feels it’s safe to reopen the border, he require Americans to provide proof of vaccination before they enter the country. It may also be a good way to keep the Trumpies out of Canada.

ConservativeGranny #47708

I don’t blame him.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.