Trump Admits Times Report, Says Status Of Illegals Is “Negotiable”

Source: Legal Insurrection | 1 Mar 16 | Jonathan Levin

Donald Trump backs off deportation vow, adopts Rubio position

Rubio Trump

For months now, Donald Trump has spouted the same line on immigration, promising to build a border wall and deport people here illegally.  Last night, he admitted he would not deport the 11 million people in the United States illegally.  It was posturing.

Trump appeared on Sean Hannity’s show on Fox News.  Here’s the video:

Here’s the key transcript excerpt, from Politico:

“We had a board meeting [at the New York Times], it was off-the-record, suddenly they leak it, it’s all over the place,” Trump said.

“They said it’s negotiable on the wall,” Hannity said in reference to Trump’s stance on Mexican immigration and his oft-stated promise to build a border wall.

“By the way it is negotiable. Things are negotiable,” Trump said. “I’ll make the wall 2 feet shorter or something.”

Trump was quick to add that the negotiation does not include nixing the idea altogether.

“Building it? Not negotiable.”

“Would it be negotiable about the 11 million?” Hannity pressed. “Maybe let some people stay if they register in a period of time?”

“I would say this,” Trump added, “we will work out some system that’s fair, but we either have a country or we don’t. We need a border. We need a wall.”

This should be causing Trump supporters cognitive dissonance.  After all, he shot to prominence early in the race by taking the most aggressive possible stance on immigration.  Now he is backpedaling to the exact same position as his reviled Gang of Eight competitor, Marco Rubio.

Here’s Rubio at the CNN debate last week:

Well, first of all, and before we do anything, I’ve been abundantly clear on this. When I’m president of the United States, before we do anything on immigration, we are going to secure the border. And, that’s not just the physical border with Mexico, it’s Visa overstays. That’s 45 percent of the problem right there.

It also has to do — that’s why we need e-verify, and entry-exit tracking system, and so-forth. And, until that happens, we’re not doing anything else. And then we’ll see what the American people are willing to support.

Those are exactly the same positions – build the wall, then figure out what to do with the people already here.  There is literally no daylight between the Rubio and Trump positions on immigration.

So before you run out to vote Trump because Rubio betrayed you on immigration, remember, 1) they’re the same on the issue, but 2) Trump is lying to you about it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • ConstitutionalConservative #1862

“We had a board meeting [at the New York Times],

I always knew Trump would back track on immigration, what was new to me is that he is a board member of NYTimes, or maybe I’m reading it wrong but how can he constantly bash the NYT and other media outlets and he is member of the NYT board, can you get more hypocritical than that.

ConstitutionalConservative #1863

There is a video of Trump answering on Hannity at the link:

Victoria #1871

All of us who are sane, knew he could not drag people out of their houses, put them in trucks and take them deep into Mexico. I recall that is what Trump said at the beginning – take them so far inside Mexico, they could not get back to the border.

Then, he changed, take them across the border and let the good ones back quickly. He left out the part where every person is entitled to going to court before they can be removed from this country.

He is a fake, a believer in nothing – says whatever gets him what he wants. Orange devil.

slhancock1948 #1925

He bashes Goldman Sachs, too, but he’s also a major shareholder, and has out several millions of dollars, maybe into the billions, in loans. Of course, he bashed Cruz for his 1 million loan, which has been repaid. What a dirtbag!

Pray for righteousness to be restored and for the peace of Jerusalem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.