Former members of President Trump’s 2020 presidential campaign were instrumental in organizing the “Save America Rally” on Jan. 6 that took place shortly before a pro-Trump mob stormed the Capitol, despite claims that the event was created solely by Trump’s supporters, The Associated Press reported Monday.
A pro-Trump nonprofit group, Women for America First, obtained a permit from the National Park Service that allowed them to host an event on the Ellipse near the White House. However, the AP reports that more than a half-dozen people listed as staff members for the event had previously worked for the Trump campaign just weeks prior.
Other “on site” staff members also had close ties to the White House, the outlet reported.
Trump’s reelection campaign in a statement to the AP said it “did not organize, operate or finance the event,” and denied that any campaign staffers had been involved in organizing and operating the rally.
The campaign told the AP that if any former employees or contractors were involved in the rally “they did not do so at the direction of the Trump campaign.”
The project manager for the “Save America Rally” is listed as Justin Caporale, a former top aide to first lady Melania Trump. As the AP notes, Caporale is listed as being paid by the Trump campaign for most of 2020, most recently receiving $7,500 every two weeks.
Maggie Mulvaney, niece of former White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney, and major GOP fundraiser Caroline Wren are both listed on the permit as well in “VIP” positions. Both Mulvaney and Wren blocked AP reporters who attempted to contact them on Twitter.
One Trump campaign director, Megan Powers, and at least three campaign aides were named on the permit, the AP reports. A LinkedIn account for Powers indicated that she had worked for Trump’s campaign as recently as this month.
None of the staffers listed on the permit spoke to the AP, and many reportedly shut down their social media accounts.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.