Trump asked Justice to look into SNL: report

Source: The Hill | June 22, 2021 | Lexi Lonas

Former President Trump asked the Justice Department to look into “Saturday Night Live” while he was in office, The Daily Beast reported Tuesday.

Two sources told the news outlet that Trump talked to advisers and lawyers in 2019 about what the Justice Department, Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the courts could do to look into late-night comedy shows such as ‘SNL.’

“It was more annoying than alarming, to be honest with you,” one source told The Daily Beast.

Trump often lashed out at the NBC sketch comedy show for its skits about him, one time tweeting: “It’s truly incredible that shows like Saturday Night Live, not funny/no talent, can spend all of their time knocking the same person (me), over & over, without so much of a mention of ‘the other side.’”

“Like an advertisement without consequences. Same with Late Night Shows. Should Federal Election Commission and/or FCC look into this?” Trump said on Twitter.

Trump was reportedly informed that no legal action could be taken against the show, but was told someone would “look into it” even though they never did, according to one source who spoke to The Daily Beast.

……..

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #49361

EVERYDAY #49363

Such a petty little man. Every president has been lampooned at one time or another and most take it in stride. At the very least, if a president didn’t like the ribbing, he kept his feelings to himself or only talked about it privately. Back when he was Governor of California, President Reagan was roasted by Dean Martin and other celebrities. President Bush 41 so enjoyed Dana Carvey’s SNL impersonation of him that he invited Carvey to the WH to perform his act. The two became friends and Dana Carvey expressed great sorrow when President Bush passed.

But this former president is humorless and childish. He reminds me of the little kid who wants to play ball with his friends but he isn’t good enough, so he leaves in a snit (“I’m taking my bat and my ball and I’m going home!”) SNL’s right to parody Trump is protected by the First Amendment. If he didn’t like it, too bad.

As an aside, I thought those Trump skits essentially saved SNL. The show had been going downhill for a number of years till the Trump presidency. Alec Baldwin’s impersonation and some great writing brought SNL back to life.

Consistent #49376

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.