Trump believes Kim's claim he wasn't aware of Warmbier's condition

Source: CNN | February 28, 2019 | Jeremy Diamond and Nicole Gaouette

Hanoi, Vietnam (CNN) – President Donald Trump on Thursday said he does not hold North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un responsible for Otto Warmbier’s death after Kim denied knowledge of the American student’s maltreatment.

“He felt badly about it. He felt very badly,” Trump said at a news conference after his second summit with Kim, after saying they discussed the matter privately. “He tells me that he didn’t know about it and I will take him at his word.”

North Korea released Warmbier, an American student, in June 2017 after more than a year of imprisonment, returning him to the US in a coma. Warmbier died days after returning to the US and US officials quickly blamed North Korea for the brain damage Warmbier suffered that led to his death.

It was the latest instance in which Trump has taken the denial of an autocratic leader at face value and Trump’s comment ignored the tight control that Kim maintains over the internal affairs of his country as its supreme leader, particularly sensitive matters such as the imprisonment of an American citizen.

Trump’s willingness to suspend disbelief with Kim echoes the way he accepted Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman’s denial of involvement in the murder of the journalist Jamal Khashoggi and Vladimir Putin’s that claim Russia didn’t meddle with the 2016 US presidential election.

Trump appeared to clear Kim of any responsibility in the matter though he did acknowledge that North Korean prisons — a nefarious facet of Kim’s repressive rule —- are “rough.”

……..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #28127

Consistent #28128

Consistent #28131

Consistent #28132

Consistent #28133

EVERYDAY #28137

Is Trump really this stupid? Or is cozying up to our enemies and believing whatever they say part of some strategy? Just what does Trump hope to gain here?

I wonder what Wambier’s family thinks of this. It’s an insult to them. Trump has no feelings.

ConservativeGranny #28140

He’s pandering. Trump is a big blow-hard. He shoots off his mouth and acts tough but he is really a coward. You can see examples of it all of the time. When confronted he backs down, he is too chicken to fire anyone himself and he flatters and panders to men that he knows are stronger than he is. He finds himself more comfortable with dictators like Kim because Trump also is a liar with no moral standards. He really admires them and I think on some level wishes he could be running our country like they run theirs. The only thing that has saved this country from a dictatorship like NK is our Constitution. It frustrates Trump but protects us from his insanity. For the most part anyway.

Consistent #28143

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.