Trump campaign threatens legal action over liberal super PAC ad

Source: The Hill | March 25, 2020 | Jonathan Easley

President Trump’s reelection campaign is threatening legal action against television stations in key battleground states if they continue airing an ad cut by the liberal super PAC Priorities USA alleging that the president called the coronavirus a “hoax.”

Alex Cannon, the legal counsel for Trump’s reelection campaign, sent a letter to television stations in key battleground states where the ad is running demanding they “cease and desist” from airing the ad if they want to “avoid costly and time consuming litigation.”

“Given the foregoing, should you fail to immediately cease broadcasting PUSA’s ad ‘Exponential Threat’, Donald J. Trump for President, Inc. will have no choice but to pursue all legal remedies available to it in law and in equity” the letter states. “We will not stand idly by and allow you to broadcast false, deceptive, and misleading information concerning President’s Trump’s healthcare positions without consequence.”

Priorities USA is putting $6 million behind the ad, which is running on television stations in Florida, Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

The ad, which is titled “Exponential Threat,” splices together different audio clips of Trump downplaying the virus over a graphic showing the number of cases on the rise.

“The coronavirus, this is their new hoax,” Trump says in the ad. “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear. When you have 15 people and within a couple of days is gonna be down to close to zero. We really think we’ve done a great job in keeping it down to a minimum. I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand. No, I don’t take responsibility.”

However, fact-checkers at The Washington Post, Snopes, Politifact and FactCheck.org have said it’s wrong to claim that Trump called the virus a hoax.

Instead, Trump’s full quote reveals that he was describing Democratic efforts to politicize the virus.

“Coronavirus. They’re politicizing it,” Trump said in February. “We did one of the great jobs. You say, ‘How’s President Trump doing?’ ‘Oh, nothing, nothing.’ They have no clue. They don’t have any clue. … And this is their new hoax. But you know we did something that’s been pretty amazing.”

Former Vice President Joe Biden’s campaign and several other Democratic groups have used the “hoax” remarks in their own videos. The Trump campaign has asked Twitter to apply its “manipulated media” tag to videos claiming that Trump called the virus a hoax, but the social media giant has declined to intervene.

………

………

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #36646

Consistent #36647

EVERYDAY #36648

Seems to me Trump’s problem is with the PAC that sponsored the ad, not the stations which air it.

The ad does not say he said it was a hoax; it says it was “their hoax” — referring to the media. And the rest of the ad is correct. Trump said things to indicate he did not take the virus seriously. He only began to worry when the stock market took a dive, the economy was tanking and since much of his re-election campaign is tied into a supposedly robust economy, it looked like his re-election chances might be in doubt.

So I don’t see what would be libelous or slanderous about this ad. Any legal action would probably be laughed out of court. By the way, I wonder what will be in Trump’s campaign ads, particularly as we head toward the general election. Will Trump and his surrogates rehash unproven conspiracy theories about Biden and his son as Trump had been doing in his tweets and at campaign rallies?

Sounds to me like he has sicked his legal team on the media as part of his phony-baloney war with them.

ConservativeGranny #36650

He is trying to bully them into silence. Trump said all of those things and he is recorded saying them. But he wants to make it look like they are lies by threatening to sue. He knows the suit will eventually be dropped but he needs the optics of the suit right now. He wastes the time of the legal system with his constant frivolous suits.

Consistent #36652

Consistent #36653

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.