Trump cancels GOP convention events in Jacksonville

Source: Politico | July 23, 2020 | Caitlin Oprysko

“It’s just not the right time” during the coronavirus pandemic, the president says.

President Donald Trump announced on Thursday that he was canceling Republican National Convention keynote events set to be held in Jacksonville, Fla., next month, as the state continues to grapple with a surge in coronavirus cases.

“I told my team it‘s time to cancel the Jacksonville, Fla., component of the GOP Convention,“ Trump said during a coronavirus briefing at the White House, explaining that “it’s just not the right time“ to hold a “big, crowded convention.“

The convention‘s official business meetings were always set to remain in Charlotte, N.C., and Trump said on Thursday that those would go on as planned.

But the party‘s big events, including Trump’s prime-time nomination speech, which the party decided to move to Jacksonville only last month, will move online, the president suggested.

……….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #41396

Consistent #41399

EVERYDAY #41400

It was dopey to have a blowout of a convention anyway. It’s not like there would have been any drama — Trump’s nomination is a foregone conclusion — so who needs all the hoopla?

Well, I guess Little Donnie did — to bolster is already oversized ego. Well, too bad. For once, his ego can take a back seat to the well being of those who would have attended.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.