Trump CDC chief: Coronavirus ‘escaped’ from Chinese lab

Source: Politico | March 26, 2021 | Quint Forgey

The World Health Organization has concluded that theory is “extremely unlikely.”

Robert Redfield, the former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said he believed the virus that causes Covid-19 originated from a laboratory in Wuhan, China — contradicting the assessment of the World Health Organization and most public health experts.

In an interview with CNN’s Sanjay Gupta that aired Friday, the former Trump administration official also speculated that the virus began transmitting within central China’s Hubei province in September or October 2019, a potential time frame more in line with mainstream scientific views.

“That’s my own view. It’s only an opinion. I’m allowed to have opinions now,” said Redfield, who served as CDC director from 2018 until the end of former President Donald Trump’s term. He is now a senior adviser for public health to Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan on the state’s pandemic response.

Regarding the origins of the virus, Redfield went on to say: “I am of the point of view that I still think the most likely etiology of this pathogen in Wuhan was from a laboratory. Escaped. Other people don’t believe that. That’s fine. Science will eventually figure it out. It’s not unusual for respiratory pathogens that are being worked on in a laboratory to infect the laboratory worker.”

Redfield’s remarks come after a WHO team concluded last month the virus was “extremely unlikely” to have leaked from a Chinese lab — specifically, the Wuhan Institute of Virology — and more likely first transmitted to humans from an animal. The WHO team is expected to release a final report on their findings in the near future, although questions remain about whether its investigation was sufficiently free and open.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #48154

EVERYDAY #48156

Sure. Let’s gin up the “China virus” meme now so we can have more attacks on people of Asian heritage.

Say, Dr. Redfield — how about keeping your worthless opinions to yourself?

Consistent #48178

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.