Trump compares police brutality to golfers who ‘miss a three-foot putt’

Source: Politico | September 1, 2020 | Quint Forgey

“People choke under those circumstances, and they make a bad decision,” the president said.

President Donald Trump on Monday likened police officers who commit acts of brutality to golfers who “choke” and miss a three-foot putt, resisting the real-time efforts of a conservative cable news ally to steer him away from the comparison.

The remarks from the president came in an interview with Fox News’ Laura Ingraham, during which Trump lamented how law enforcement officers are “under siege” in the United States amid new scrutiny of racial injustice in policing.

“They can do 10,000 great acts, which is what they do, and one bad apple or a choker — you know, a choker. They choke,” Trump said, apparently making reference to the shooting of Jacob Blake by police in Kenosha, Wis.

……..

“Shooting the guy in the back many times. I mean, couldn’t you have done something different? Couldn’t you have wrestled him?” Trump said Monday. “You know, I mean, in the meantime, he might’ve been going for a weapon. And, you know, there’s a whole big thing there.”

It was not clear whether Trump was specifically discussing Blake’s shooting or advancing unfounded speculation about the role of a weapon in that case.

……..

“If you don’t make the decision, and you’re wrong, you’re dead. People choke under those circumstances, and they make a bad decision. I’ve seen bad decisions of people that it looked bad, but probably it was a choke,” Trump said.

“But you also have bad police,” he added. “But you also — the vast, not only the vast majority — thousands and thousands of great acts and one bad one, and you make the evening news for weeks.”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.