Trump demands Schiff resign over account of Ukraine call

Source: The Hill | September 27, 2019 | Morgan Chalfant

President Trump on Friday demanded House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) “immediately” resign from Congress for reading what the congressman described as a parody of the president’s phone call with Ukraine’s leader that is at the center of a whistleblower complaint.

In a series of tweets early Friday, Trump accused Schiff of lying to Congress and “fraudulently” reciting a version of the call that made it “sound horrible” and made the president appear “guilty.”

“He was supposedly reading the exact transcribed version of the call, but he completely changed the words to make it sound horrible, and me sound guilty,” Trump tweeted. 

“HE WAS DESPERATE AND HE GOT CAUGHT. Adam Schiff therefore lied to Congress and attempted to defraud the American Public. He has been doing this for two years. I am calling for him to immediately resign from Congress based on this fraud!”

……..

Trump was referring to a moment at the outset of Thursday’s congressional hearing with the acting intelligence chief during which Schiff described Trump as saying on the call that he would tell Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky “seven times” to “make up dirt on my political opponent.”

Schiff later made clear that he was summarizing what happened on the July 25 call and that it was meant “to be, at least in part, parody.”

“The fact that that’s not clear is a separate problem in and of itself. Of course, the president never said, if I — if you don’t understand me, I’m going to say it seven more times. My point is, that’s the message that the Ukraine president was receiving in not so many words,” Schiff said.

Schiff immediately hit back at Trump on Twitter on Friday, accusing him of engaging in “a shakedown to get election dirt from a foreign country” and trying to cover it up.

……..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.