Trump denies report he called U.S. service members buried in France 'losers', 'suckers'

Source: The Hill | September 3, 2020 | Lauren Vella

President Trump on Thursday angrily denied a report in The Atlantic that he denigrated U.S. service members, calling it “fake news” and a “disgrace” and suggesting the author and his sources are “liars.”

“If they really exist, if people really exist that would have said that, they’re low lifes and they’re liars. And I would be willing to swear on anything that I never said that about our fallen heroes. There is nobody that respects them more,” Trump told reporters at Joint Base Andrews after a campaign stop in Pennsylvania Thursday evening. 

“So, I just think it’s a horrible horrible thing. It made a great evening into frankly a very sad evening when I see a statement like that. No animal, nobody, what animal would say such a thing?” Trump continued. 

The Atlantic, citing multiple anonymous sources, reported Thursday that Trump cancelled a trip to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris, France, in 2018 because he worried his hair would be disheveled by the rain. 

Trump also reportedly asked senior staff during a meeting before the planned visit: “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” 

The magazine also reported that Trump referred to U.S. Marines who were killed at Belleau Wood during World War I as “suckers” because they died.

Speaking to reporters Thursday, Trump claimed that he wanted to go to the cemetery in France but was unable to because of heavy rainfall in Paris, and that the U.S. Secret Service would not allow him to motorcade there. 

“The Secret Service told me, you can’t do it. I said I have to do it. They said you can’t do it,” Trump said. “Now somebody makes up this horrible story that I didn’t want to go.”

The Atlantic also reported that Trump told senior staff he wouldn’t support the funeral of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who he also called a “loser,” and grew angry when he saw flags at the White House lowered at half-staff to recognize the senator.

Trump has publicly criticized McCain, who was a prisoner of war in North Vietnam, including during his 2016 presidential campaign when then-candidate Trump said he preferred people “who weren’t captured.”  He has also publicly called him a “loser.” 

……..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #42540

Consistent #42541

Consistent #42544

ConservativeGranny #42552

These “anonymous” sources need to step forward. Now.

Consistent #42555

Consistent #42556

Consistent #42557

EVERYDAY #42559

Agreed, Granny. You and I and so many others believe there is at least some measure of truth to this story, especially in view of Trump’s well documented attitude toward the late Senator McCain. But this practice in journalism today of relying on anonymous sources with no hard evidence to back up a story makes all these news stories suspect. Without proof they are all easily denied by Trump and we can be sure he will deny them and get away with it.

Definitely, we need these anonymous sources to come forward and do it now. Why they haven’t is a mystery to me. Oh I know some, like John Bolton, wanted to save their stories for books they are writing or intend to write (the profit motive). But about the rest? Is it cowardice? I can’t imagine John Kelly would be afraid to do the right thing. Kelly is no longer Chief of Staff, so there isn’t a job saving motive behind it. Any of these witnesses — if they are still working for Trump, is their job worth hanging onto to protect this scumbag? Why would they want to protect him? Only thing I can think of is that they and/or their families were threatened with physical harm. Perhaps they think if they come forward, there would be no one to protect them. I can see them not trusting federal law enforcement (FBI) and I sure as heck wouldn’t trust Trump’s lapdog in the Justice Department, Bill Barr.

There has to be someone with the guts to come forward. Maybe that’s easy for me to say since I’m not a Trump employee and never have been. But Trump has to fall and fall hard. I’m no longer satisfied wit Trump losing re-election. I want him ruined.

Consistent #42565

Consistent #42566

Consistent #42567

Consistent #42569

Consistent #42570

Consistent #42571

Consistent #42575

Consistent #42583

Consistent #42594

Consistent #42595

Consistent #42633

EVERYDAY #42634

So Tom Wright confirms what I suspected — that these anonymous sources may have been threatened with bodily harm and harm to their families. Seems to fit. Trump has run his businesses and now the White House much like an organized crime family. I suspect his adult children and Jared are part of it all too. We know Trump will threaten anyone who is disloyal with protracted litigation. It’s plausible he could make other, more sinister threats as well.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.