Trump drops tariff threat after reaching border deal with Mexico

Source: Politico | June 7, 2019 | Doug Palmer, Gabby Orr and Ted Hesson

President Donald Trump has dropped plans to impose a 5 percent tariff on all Mexican goods beginning next week after administration officials reached a deal with Mexico to stem the flow of Central American migrants seeking to enter the United States.

The move avoids a possible confrontation with Congress over the tariffs, which experts have warned could drastically damage the U.S. economy. The United States imported about $350 billion worth of goods from Mexico last year, including everything from car parts to avocados.

“I am pleased to inform you that The United States of America has reached a signed agreement with Mexico. The Tariffs scheduled to be implemented by the U.S. on Monday, against Mexico, are hereby indefinitely suspended,” Trump tweeted Friday evening.

………

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #29944

Consistent #29947

Consistent #29948

Consistent #29949

Consistent #29950

Consistent #29951

Consistent #29952

ConservativeGranny #29953

Typical of Trump. All bark and no bite. He acts impulsively and everyone has to run around like fools trying to fix the havoc he has wrought. Nice temper tantrum Donald. Now where do I go to get the thousands of dollars my 401K has bled over your antics?

EVERYDAY #29954

Trying to read the State Department pronouncement — yes, it does look like the two countries agreed to a whole lot of nothing. I guess they threw together this last-minute ‘deal” so Trump could look like a hero. I do believe this tariff threat was another in a series of reality tv presidential dramas designed to entertain Trump fans and to upset and confound his “enemies of the state.” I really do wish this reality tv series would be canceled.

Consistent #29955

Consistent #29962

EVERYDAY #29963

New York Times? FAKE NEWS! LOL

We all knew this “deal” was baloney. Right up there with Trump’s “agreement” with Kim.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.