Trump excoriates Sasse over leaked audio

Source: The Hill | October 17, 2020 | Tal Axelrod

President Trump berated Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) after audio leaked this week of the Nebraska senator leveling harsh criticism against the president in a town hall with constituents.

“The least effective of our 53 Republican Senators, and a person who truly doesn’t have what it takes to be great, is Little Ben Sasse of Nebraska, a State which I have gladly done so much to help,” Trump tweeted. “@SenSasse was as nice as a [Republican in name only] can be until he recently won the Republican…Nomination to run for a second term. Then he went back to his rather stupid and obnoxious ways.”

“Little Ben is a liability to the Republican Party, and an embarrassment to the Great State of Nebraska. Other than that, he’s just a wonderful guy!”

……..

The harsh rebuke comes after remarks of Sasse hitting Trump over his handling of the coronavirus pandemic, his relations abroad and more surfaced this week.

“But the reality is that he careened from curb to curb. First, he ignored COVID. And then he went into full economic shutdown mode. He was the one who said 10 to 14 days of shutdown would fix this,” Sasse said in an event with constituents, according to audio obtained by The Washington Examiner. “And that was always wrong. I mean, and so I don’t think the way he’s lead through COVID has been reasonable or responsible or right.

“The United States now regularly sells out our allies under his leadership, the way he treats women, spends like a drunken sailor. The ways I criticize President Obama for that kind of spending; I’ve criticized President Trump for, as well,” Sasse added. “He mocks evangelicals behind closed doors. His family has treated the presidency like a business opportunity. He’s flirted with white supremacists.”

In additional audio obtained by The New York Times, Sasse warned that Trump is set to lose his reelection campaign and possibly trigger a “Republican blood bath.” 

“I’m now looking at the possibility of a Republican blood bath in the Senate, and that’s why I’ve never been on the Trump train,” he said. “It’s why I didn’t agree to be on his reelection committee, and it’s why I’m not campaigning for him.”

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.