Trump favorability flat after convention: poll

Source: The Hill | August 30, 2020 | Justine Coleman

President Trump’s favorability stayed flat after the Republican National Convention, as a majority of the country continues to view his handling of the COVID-19 crisis negatively, a poll released Sunday found. 

The ABC News-Ipsos poll determined that 31 percent of respondents had a favorable view of Trump after the GOP convention, representing no significant change from his 32 percent favorability a week prior after the Democratic National Convention.

The president’s favorability among Republicans dropped 4 percentage points since last week. 

Trump and his supporters sought to convey the administration’s coronavirus response positively during the GOP convention. But the percentage of respondents who said they disapprove of the president’s oversight of the pandemic — 63 percent — has remained steady since mid-July. 

Meanwhile, Democratic nominee Joe Biden’s favorability remained higher than his unfavorability, at 46 percent and 40 percent, respectively, despite Republican efforts during the convention to paint him as a dangerous candidate.

Unlike Trump, the former vice president experienced a 5 percentage point boost in favorability in the week after the Democratic convention. He also saw a 7 percentage point increase in favorability among Democrats after the convention. 

……..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #42376

EVERYDAY #42380

Trump is not even trying to appeal to anyone other than his cult. All he is doing is reinforcing the false messages he has already disseminated to his followers. They will believe anything Trump tells them. I’d say most of the rest of us voters know he and everyone else at that convention lied and continue to lie about Trump’s supposed accomplishments. What voters are being told by Trump and the rest does not even come close to what these voters see and hear every day. They are not brainwashed by the media. They know what the reality is and they are not happy.

Consistent #42389

Consistent #42403

Consistent #42404

Consistent #42405

EVERYDAY #42406

Polls are unreliable, so I pay little attention to them. What I have seen though is a rise in various groups of Republicans or former Republicans, besides The Lincoln Project, who have abandoned Trump and are voting for Biden. They are urging other voters to do the same. A number of them are advertising, although not on the scale of The Lincoln Project. The ads are mostly on social media. But all of these groups are very persuasive and I can see them swaying many voters, including those who voted for Trump in 2016, to vote for Biden.

I started out the year saying I wasn’t going to vote; then I said I would not vote for president and only select candidates down ticket. Now I realize I have to swallow my pride, principles and beliefs and vote for Biden. To get Trump out of the White House will require a massive landslide victory for the Democrats. The vote cannot be close as it was in 2016. The vote should be so overwhelming the Electoral College cannot ignore it. I don’t like voting for Biden, but this country will not survive four more years of Trump. Trump has to go.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.