Trump: GOP should fight mail-in voting because it ‘doesn’t work out well for Republicans’

Source: Politico | April 8, 2020 | Quint Forgey

In-person voting has been complicated by the coronavirus’ spread across the country.

President Donald Trump on Wednesday directed Republicans to “fight very hard” against efforts to expand mail-in voting amid the coronavirus pandemic, suggesting that such a shift in ballot-casting practices would yield unfavorable electoral results for the GOP.

“Republicans should fight very hard when it comes to statewide mail-in voting. Democrats are clamoring for it,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “Tremendous potential for voter fraud, and for whatever reason, doesn’t work out well for Republicans.”

………..

The president fiercely criticized mail-in voting as “horrible” and “corrupt” during the White House coronavirus task force’s daily news conference Tuesday, but also conceded that he voted by mail in Florida’s primary last month.

Trump offered no legitimate explanation for the discrepancy between his position on mail-in voting and his personal voting habits, but insisted “there’s a big difference between somebody that’s out of state and does a ballot, and everything’s sealed, certified and everything else.”

In other instances of mail-in voting, however, “you get thousands and thousands of people sitting in somebody’s living room, signing ballots all over the place,” Trump claimed.

“You look at what they do, where they grab thousands of mail-in ballots, and they dump it. I’ll tell you what — and I don’t have to tell you, you can look at the statistics — there’s a lot of dishonesty going along with mail-in voting, mail-in ballots,” he continued, adding: “I think if you vote, you should go.”

……..

The president’s advice to vote in person contradicts his administration’s social-distancing guidance, which recommends Americans maintain at least 6 feet of separation; avoid gatherings of more than 10 people; work or attend school from home whenever possible; and abstain from eating or drinking at bars, restaurants and food courts.

Although election experts acknowledge there are slightly higher levels of voter fraud perpetrated through mail-in voting than in-person voting, they agree overall cases of election fraud are rare and that local officials can implement measures to thwart such activity.

………

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #38018

Consistent #38019

Consistent #38020

EVERYDAY #38021

Yeah, let’s all go to the polls and infect one another.

And with Bernie gone and the choice now is between Biden and Donnie, I’m beginning to think, why bother voting at all?

Consistent #38029

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.