Trump hits Barr for not delivering Russia probe bombshells

Source: Politico | October 9, 2020 | Andrew Desiderio

Republican senators have been told not to expect any more indictments from U.S. Attorney John Durham before the election.

President Donald Trump lashed out at Attorney General William Barr on Friday after it was revealed that the U.S. attorney investigating the origins of the Russia probe is not expected to release any information related to his inquiry before the election.

“If that’s the case, I’m very disappointed,” Trump told conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh. “I think it’s a terrible thing. And I’ll say it to [Barr’s] face.”

POLITICO first reported this week that Republican senators investigating similar matters have been told to not expect additional indictments or other disclosures from U.S. Attorney John Durham before the Nov. 3 presidential election.

“It’s a disgrace. It’s an embarrassment,” Trump added. “See, this is what I mean with the Republicans. They don’t play the tough game.”

The apparent pre-election fizzle began circulating earlier this week, coinciding with a flurry of angry tweets from the president, in which he repeatedly demanded the jailing of his political enemies; he has accused a slew of Obama administration officials of unfairly and illegally targeting him during the 2016 campaign and the presidential transition period, without citing evidence.

Moreover, the president’s allies in Congress and within the administration have been releasing declassified documents related to the Russia probe in recent days, fueling speculation that they were trying to fill the void being left by Durham, who was tapped by Barr to examine the origins of the Russia investigation. That Durham cleared the documents for public release suggests they will not be used in a criminal prosecution.

Barr has cooperated with GOP senators as part of those declassifications, as has Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe, a former Republican congressman who gained popularity on the right as a vocal defender of Trump.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #43592

Consistent #43593

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.