Trump lashes out at NYT reporter over Dayton, El Paso coverage

Source: The Hill | August 10, 2019 | Tal Axelrod

President Trump lashed out at New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman early Saturday, claiming that the veteran journalist had misrepresented his trips to Dayton, Ohio, and El Paso this week to meet with people affected by last week’s mass shootings there.

“Maggie Haberman of the Failing @nytimes reported that I was annoyed by the lack of cameras inside the hospitals in Dayton & El Paso, when in fact I was the one who stated, very strongly, that I didn’t want the Fake News inside & told my people NOT to let them in. Fake reporting!” Trump tweeted Saturday morning.

……..

Trump’s tweet came one day after the Times published a report by Haberman, Katie Rogers and Rick Rojas that said the president grew frustrated during his trip with multiple media reports focusing on his attacks on political adversaries and with a lack of coverage of the positive reception he arrived to at a hospital in Dayton.

According to the Times, Trump “screamed at his aides to begin producing proof that in El Paso people were happy to see him.” 

Trump was reportedly irked after seeing footage of a news conference with Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) and Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley (D) in lieu of images of his trip to Dayton’s Miami Valley Hospital, the Times reported. Soon after, White House aides began distributing photos and video of the president joined by doctors and nurses in the Ohio hospital, according to the outlet.

A New York Times spokesperson defended the paper’s report in a statement to The Hill, noting that the article was based on a number of interviews with sources, including White House and administration officials.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.